Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pyxie frog! male or female?

purplemuffin

Reaction score
I hope this is the right forum!

My boyfriend's sister just bought herself a pyxie frog at our local convention, she claims he/she is already 3.5-4 inches long and wants to know if it is possible to figure out the sex? I've been googling all day but even when I find things describing a male or a female I can't ever get a picture to compare it to. So I figured frog owners might know? :eek:

228665_1535547328669_1834420401_945677_7490184_n.jpg

I see people ask for pictures from the side, is that a good view to figure it out?

thanks!!

Mredh123

Reaction score
Nice looking Pixie!!!
If you look on the front legs you might see small pads... (male)
To me this looks like the Dwarf Pixie and might be close to full grown.

toxickitten

Reaction score
It looks like a Dwarf to me too. I have a true Giant Pyxie Frog and I know he is a he because of his size and he croaks. Has yours croaked?

bkime

Reaction score
I to have a true pixie I haven't had him that long but i have been doing a lot of research on them. My understanding is that males have yellow under the mouth and felmale's have cream. I'm not 100% but that is my understanding. I dont know if with age it turns cream and my guy is so young he's still all yellow and does still have a yellow line down the back so i do know he is under 2. I have a question i will post separate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!