Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question about Fluval aqua clear filter ,tips and tricks on how to make the current as low as possible.

Ange.a9855

Reaction score
Hey all, so I currently have a 20 gal tank and for the tank I have a 20 gal HOB Fluval aqua clear filter. The tank is currently being cycled and my juvenile is currently being tubbed at the moment until the cycling process is complete. With the filter I am able to adjust the flow. But even at the lowest setting I'm concerned that it still may be a tad bit strong for my axolotl. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to make the flow as little as possible?

CrazyForLotls

Reaction score
Hey all, so I currently have a 20 gal tank and for the tank I have a 20 gal HOB Fluval aqua clear filter. The tank is currently being cycled and my juvenile is currently being tubbed at the moment until the cycling process is complete. With the filter I am able to adjust the flow. But even at the lowest setting I'm concerned that it still may be a tad bit strong for my axolotl. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to make the flow as little as possible?
I've heard of people using spray bars. I also saw a method where someone duct taped a loofah string to the lid of the filter, with the loofah partly in the tank water and mainly in the output flow of the filter to keep it from like splashing down. My filter is built in, so I personally just try to put a bunch of sturdy plants in front of the output.

RJF9020

Reaction score
Had the same issue when I first set up my tank, since then I’ve added a sponge over the intake tube, and I found a tree frog food/water dish that suctioned to the tank. The combination allows me to keep the filter on full go and there is barely any current. (Plus the leaf glows under black/blue light which compliments my gfp axi).

Attachments

• 7CEAD2E5-FA38-406A-A2C7-3D2F3A966EDD.jpeg
    7CEAD2E5-FA38-406A-A2C7-3D2F3A966EDD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1