Question about water change

Pigalit

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm wondering how you guys do your water changes in your tank. My axolotl is currently tubbed until she's big enough to go in her tank but I'm still a bit confused about water changes. I do water changes weekly for cycling purposes, but I feel as if when I add her in it might be a bit different. The water source is coming from water hoes which will be significantly colder/warmer (depending on the temperature of the weather) than the water it's being added to. Should I remove the axie, add the prime and water, then let it acclimate to the water? Or is there a simpler solution? I've been doing that method with axolotl in the tub to avoid shock.

I'm wondering how you guys do your water changes in your tank. My axolotl is currently tubbed until she's big enough to go in her tank but I'm still a bit confused about water changes. I do water changes weekly for cycling purposes, but I feel as if when I add her in it might be a bit different. The water source is coming from water hoes which will be significantly colder/warmer (depending on the temperature of the weather) than the water it's being added to. Should I remove the axie, add the prime and water, then let it acclimate to the water? Or is there a simpler solution? I've been doing that method with axolotl in the tub to avoid shock.
how much water do you change out?

then yeah probably err on the side of caution and continue acclimating
oo I mean for when I add them to the tank and do water changes. I do 100% water changes in the tub and acclimate them to the new water.

ah, if 100% then definitely acclimate them :)
oo I mean for when I add them to the tank and do water changes. I do 100% water changes in the tub and acclimate them to the new water.

ah, if 100% then definitely acclimate them :)
I think there's a bit of confusion 😭 I'm not asking about water changes in the tub. I'm asking about how do you guys do water changes in your tank with the axolotl present. I'm gonna make the transition from tub to tank in about a month and I'm confused about water changes. Do you keep the axie in the tank during water changes or take them out?

I think there's a bit of confusion 😭 I'm not asking about water changes in the tub. I'm asking about how do you guys do water changes in your tank with the axolotl present. I'm gonna make the transition from tub to tank in about a month and I'm confused about water changes. Do you keep the axie in the tank during water changes or take them out?
oh i keep him in, he doesn’t seem to mind at all

If the water going in is a different temperature than the water in the tank should I worry? I don't want them to go into shock
i’d acclimate just to be safe :)

I lower a shoebox-sized plastic bin into the tank and see if my axolotl willingly swims into it. If it does, I remove the axolotl with some of the water and leave it in the bin until the water change is done. I give her some pellets while she is in the bin if its a feeding day. I turn off the tank filter, give the glass a thorough scrub and then vacuum the sand. I squeeze the filter sponge out in the siphoned-out water. Then I dump out the siphoned water, refill the bucket with clean water and add Seachem Prime, letting the water sit for about an hour. I pour the fresh treated water into the tank then I gently add the axolotl back into the tank.

If the axolotl does not go into the bin, then I skip scrubbing the glass and try to siphon around her. She did get sucked into the bottom part of the vacuum a couple of times (she noticed movement and tried to "eat" the tubing of the vacuum, which made her get too close to the bottom part). No damage, but she was really skittish the rest of the day after she got sucked in.

I lower a shoebox-sized plastic bin into the tank and see if my axolotl willingly swims into it. If it does, I remove the axolotl with some of the water and leave it in the bin until the water change is done. I give her some pellets while she is in the bin if its a feeding day. I turn off the tank filter, give the glass a thorough scrub and then vacuum the sand. I squeeze the filter sponge out in the siphoned-out water. Then I dump out the siphoned water, refill the bucket with clean water and add Seachem Prime, letting the water sit for about an hour. I pour the fresh treated water into the tank then I gently add the axolotl back into the tank.

If the axolotl does not go into the bin, then I skip scrubbing the glass and try to siphon around her. She did get sucked into the bottom part of the vacuum a couple of times (she noticed movement and tried to "eat" the tubing of the vacuum, which made her get too close to the bottom part). No damage, but she was really skittish the rest of the day after she got sucked in.
Ah okay, this helps a lot! Thank you 😁

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back