Question are they big enough?

AxolotlMama

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Mama to 13 axies
So my question is are these two big enough to mate?
20211218_202323.jpg
20211218_202328.jpg

The copper is a male and dirty Lucy is a girl

Btw i was cleaning our their 20 gallon tubs. These aren't what I keep them in.

Only one way to find out! Put them in the same tank and see what happens. Just keep a close eye on them and make sure each has a place to hide or get away from the other.
If you see damage due to aggressive behavior, get a tank divider or put them in separate tanks. I have a pair that has spawned three times now - yet still they can get very mean with each other.

Just one more detail : once she has laid her egs, the female will need to be particularly well fed since she will form future new eggs in her ovaries.

Both seem big enough to be fed with something bigger than bloodworms (canadian nightcrawlers for example)

Only one way to find out! Put them in the same tank and see what happens. Just keep a close eye on them and make sure each has a place to hide or get away from the other.
If you see damage due to aggressive behavior, get a tank divider or put them in separate tanks. I have a pair that has spawned three times now - yet still they can get very mean with each other.
Ty and will do!

Just one more detail : once she has laid her egs, the female will need to be particularly well fed since she will form future new eggs in her ovaries.

Both seem big enough to be fed with something bigger than bloodworms (canadian nightcrawlers for example)
I have a worm farm, I just gave them some blood worms due to defrosting to much but thank you so much for this information I appreciate it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back