Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question on cycling tank

Reaction score
Hey guys! So I’m taking in a beta fish from my friend who left for college, and I am getting the tank prepared. I know this site is for caudatas (I do have an axolotl!) but I thought you guys may be able to help me with the cycling of my tank.
Could you tell me if my tank is on the right track? Im doing a fishless cycle with axolotl food, and I also put a couple rocks from my established axolotl tank in the new fish tank.
I got the tank running on October 6th. These are my stats over the last few weeks. The tank is 5 gallons, I have done no water changes since I started.
Oct 6th: 0, 0, 0 (ofc!)
———————————
Wed- Oct 13
Ammonia: 1-2ppm
Nitrite:.25
———————————
Wed- Oct 20
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: between 2 & 5 (was hard to tell
Nitrate: 0
———————————
Today- Oct 27
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: about 2
Nitrate: 20
———————————
*I use the api test water kit!*
Does this sound like it’s cycling well? Can I have both nitrites and nitrates, like will the nitrites go down the more the nitrates go up?
I’m hoping to get the fish within the next week if possible, do you guys think it’ll be fully cycled?
Also btw, when I got my axolotl about a year ago I did not cycle the tank beforehand as I was not experienced and was told i didn’t need to. My axie is fine luckily and the tank is fully cycled now, but I now understand you need to cycle tanks before anything. I want to make sure I get it right this time! Thank you so much!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!