Question: Question: Would light throughout the night bother my salamanders?

sde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seth
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if a lamp/light throughout the night would bother my salamanders? It is a single tube bulb. I am wondering because I have them outside so I thought that that light would produce a little heat that would help keep them warm. But if it bothers them or harms them than I wont do it. On a side note, do sals sleep? I know that dolphins sleep with half a brain at a time. Do sals do this? And what rime do they sleep?

Thanks! -Seth

They do sleep at night. They are nocturnal hunters who will hunt right after dark, but will rest after a little while.

The lights will definitely bother them. Salamanders typically prefer cooler temperatures so is there any reason you need to heat them up? How cold does it get over there?

If you really must keep them from getting too cold, a heater would probably be better than a lamp, but I'd really suggest keeping the tank where the temps would stay within the salamanders acceptable range instead.

Well, tomorrow it is supposed to be a low of 32 and then the next day 26, but then get I bit warmer, like in the 40s. There is no more room in the house, well there kind of is but my mom doesn't want more tanks in the house. Thanks for the info guys. They are aquatic by the way, so they could go in the water.

Is 30F almost freezing?? Newts will tolerate till about 10C but no lower. Like I said, a heater is probably the best choice for outside, but maybe ask your mom if you can keep them inside at least till t gets warmer

Yes, it is. 32 is freezing. I will see what I can do, maybe bring them inside for a while. Hey, is there any way that I can insulate them? in a cooler?

If it's getting as cold as that i'm pretty sure they shouldn't be in a glass tank outdoors, Seth. There's no thermal stability in a glass tank and the temperature could easily drop below 4 degrees which i'm pretty sure would kill your newts. In the wild they would naturally move below the frost line or be at the bottom of a still water body in the mud where the temps never get lower than 4.

What type of salamanders are they? Is it possible to well insulate the tank?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back