Questions about 5 gallon tank dimensions

ntny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
ntny
Hi guys

i wanted to get a 5gallon tank to keep 1 or a trio of newts.
i found a long tank measuring 45x17x25.4cm
and i also found a square tank 30x30x30cm
they all add up to 20Liters (5gallon)
the tank will be filter by a small 2Watt 200Liters\hr powerhead.

questions:
1) which tank is better? the long tank or square tank?
2) Can a 5 gallon tank house a trio of newts?

thanks

A 5 gallon tank is HALF the minimum advisable volume. You will have great difficulty in maintaining stable conditions in a tank that small.

I think the general idea is, you want a bigger tank for a newt. So I'd go up to a 10 gallon and have fun making a nicer tank for the little guy.

If you want a 5 gallon tank, I'm guessing it is for space reasons. (I'm in a small apartment so space is a big concern for me.) At the risk of getting yelled at for suggesting a non-newt critter, I suggest looking at freshwater shrimp. Look up Neocaridina Shrimp. They do well in small tanks and are a load of fun.

Plus then if you get a larger tank in the future, your shrimp colony can provide snakes to the new residents. :D Depending on the type of shrimp they may be expensive snacks though.

hi guys

thanks for advice. i think i will have to follow the guidelines and rules here. lolx

i will be getting 10gallons tanks

thanks again.

I have a small fire-belly newt who has lived in a 5.5gal tank for about 6 years (and is healthy). However, I meticulous about cleaning his tank. Partial water change every week and full, scrub-out of everything in the tank once a month. I don't think it would be possible to keep more than one in a tank either and you have to be creative about finding decorations and plants that use the vertical space so theres room to swim, hide, climb and have an area above the waterline. Get a 10gal if you have the space.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back