Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Questions about my axis health

Mackiot

Reaction score
So I got my axi back in September 21st, so just over four months. i dont know her age but shes just over seven inches, if that helps. I have some health questions that I have noticed about her that I'm somewhat worried about? She is a big eater and has never refused a meal and doesn't have a kinked tail, but some things I have noticed is that she sits directly under the filter. I put a bunch of plants under the filter to keep down on water flow but she always knocks them down enough so she can sit on top of them directly under the flow. She doesn't sit there all the time but she tends to favor that spot. From what I understand they don't like water movement so I don't know if it's just a quirk or something rules.

Another thing I've noticed is that ever once and a while she will go absolutely spastic and go nuts around the tank for about five muinets kicking at her head. It doesn't happen terribly often but it happens at random. I don't know if something causes it but she is usually fine and back to herself afterwords.

After feeding her today I noticed she has a small white raised spot just above her left eye. I'm not to sure what it is and really hope it's not fungus.

She has short gills/feathering but I've been told it's probably genetics, or just high oxygen in my tank. They have gotten a little longer since I got her but not by much.

Overall, like I said, she is a big eater and has a huge personality. (A diet of worms and pellets, recently its been mostly pellets because its hard to find worms around here in winter) She always follows me around the room to check out what I'm doing and seems happy other than these things. I'm still relatively new to axi ownership so I don't know if these are things to worry about.

I tried attaching pictures but I'm not sure if it worked. The lights are on in the pic but I usually have them off unless cleaning or some other reason. I'm also looking for another type of finer sand because I don't like what I have. I tried bare bottom but it didn't go well.

Attachments

• 20180126_131712.jpg
    20180126_131712.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 20180126_131236.jpg
    20180126_131236.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 120

Eternie

Reaction score
She seems fine to me! :)
Just make sure you are buying worms from the store not the ground (just to make sure it wasnt clear). The worms from the ground can have pesticides on them, and harm your axie.
Other than that she seems pretty healthy! :)
Dont hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns!

Mackiot

Reaction score
I get my worms from a bait shop. There's only one pet store in my area that even carries worms, but more times than not I open a box to severely decayed worms, and i really don't have the money to get an empty box every other time I buy. Live food for pets in my area just isn't high enough in demand for the stores to keep them in stock constantly. I've been considering getting frozen blood worms but im not sure.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1