Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Questions from a future axolotl owner

Fox

Reaction score
Hi! I'm planning on buying either one or two axolotls soon, but I want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing before I buy them or even pick out a tank. So I wanted to ask you all some questions about basic axolotl care.

1) Is it more humane to own a single axolotl, or a pair? I was originally going to buy two juveniles and put a tank divider between them until they were adults, because I was told that by then they will be out of their cannibalistic stage. But my boss told me that when she kept more than one adult axolotl it resulted in bitten off toes and other injuries. So is it best to just keep one? Or will it get too lonely if I do that?

2) How often should I feed the axolotl(s) live food like earthworms and blood worms? This may seem silly to you, but I literally cannot hurt a fly. When there are bugs in my home I always try to bring them outside safely even though I'm extremely afraid of insects. So feeding them worms will be hard for me. I know I'll probably get used to it over time, but is it necessary to feed them live food every day? Or can I do it sparingly and give them salmon / newt pellets primarily?

4) Is a 20 gallon tank suitable for one/two axolotls? If not, how about a 30 gallon?

3) Do you have any basic advice for a new owner? I know their water has to be around 50 - 68 degrees, I know that I should cycle the tank prior to buying them and I know I should do 10-20% water changes once a week. Is there any crucial information that I'm missing here? For example, some other daily / weekly / monthly form of maintenance?

Thank you! :D

innerdialogue

Reaction score
If you haven't, be sure to check out the caresheet for axolotl information. Most people here will direct you to the caresheets for basic information.

I think with most newt/salamander species, the big factor with aggression/cannibalism is size. As long as the two axies you keep are about the same size, they should be fine. Having a separate hide for each to retreat to will help keep aggression to a minimum.

Also, there is a search function with the forum. It helps trim the time spent trudging through threads A LOT so I would suggest giving it a try.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
1) Is it more humane to own a single axolotl, or a pair? I was originally going to buy two juveniles and put a tank divider between them until they were adults, because I was told that by then they will be out of their cannibalistic stage. But my boss told me that when she kept more than one adult axolotl it resulted in bitten off toes and other injuries. So is it best to just keep one? Or will it get too lonely if I do that?
It depends on the Axolotls, some won't be cannibalistic at all, some will be find once they're adults, and if you have ones like mine, they will always be cannibalistic and attempt to eat anything that moves whether it be plants, or other axolotls.

2) How often should I feed the axolotl(s) live food like earthworms and blood worms? This may seem silly to you, but I literally cannot hurt a fly. When there are bugs in my home I always try to bring them outside safely even though I'm extremely afraid of insects. So feeding them worms will be hard for me. I know I'll probably get used to it over time, but is it necessary to feed them live food every day? Or can I do it sparingly and give them salmon / newt pellets primarily?
Frozen bloodworms cannot be fed as a staple diet, they're nutritionally incomplete. High quality pellets can be fed often but some axolotls might not eat them, which could be a problem, but most will accept them if dropped in front of their faces. Earthworm/Nightcrawler are probably the best you could feed them as a staple diet, they're good nutritionally and I personally have never seen an axolotl refuse a worm unless it was ill, although I see Red Wigglers refused all the time due to the foul secretions. And I believe worms don't feel pain if that makes it any better lol

4) Is a 20 gallon tank suitable for one/two axolotls? If not, how about a 30 gallon?
10 gallons of water is considered the bare-minimum for 1 axolotl. 20 gallons could probably hold 1-2, 1 being easiest to maintain but is it a 20 Long/Regular/or Tall tank? The amount of floorspace is more important than depth.

3) Do you have any basic advice for a new owner? I know their water has to be around 50 - 68 degrees, I know that I should cycle the tank prior to buying them and I know I should do 10-20% water changes once a week. Is there any crucial information that I'm missing here? For example, some other daily / weekly / monthly form of maintenance?
Yes, cycling should be done prior to buying because it can take a long time, usually a few weeks to a month or sometimes more. Something you should do daily is spot clean any feces or uneaten food. This can be done with a turkey baster and really doesn't take too much time to do.

Fox

Reaction score
If you haven't, be sure to check out the caresheet for axolotl information. Most people here will direct you to the caresheets for basic information.

I think with most newt/salamander species, the big factor with aggression/cannibalism is size. As long as the two axies you keep are about the same size, they should be fine. Having a separate hide for each to retreat to will help keep aggression to a minimum.

Also, there is a search function with the forum. It helps trim the time spent trudging through threads A LOT so I would suggest giving it a try.

Oh, okay! Sorry for making a thread like this, then. Although the name is self explanatory, I didn't realize that's what the care sheet was, so I didn't click the link. Sorry for wasting your time :(

The one question I can't seem to find an answer for is the first one: do you think it's more humane to keep one axolotl, or two? I appreciate you telling me that if the sizes are the same there will be less aggression, and the care sheet says that if there are a lot of hiding places and such that will decrease aggression, too. But would it be harmful to keep only one 'lotl? Would it suffer from loneliness or depression?

I'm asking because if it's safe to only have one, I think I might start off with one and raise it by itself until I can properly sex it. After that I might consider getting a second one of the same sex. Because if I get two juveniles at the same time and they fully raise them only to find out that there is one female and one male, that will lead to a problem because I don't want them to breed...

Sorry if I'm being annoying or these questions don't make sense to you :( I just want to make sure I do what's best for them.

Fox

Reaction score
It depends on the Axolotls, some won't be cannibalistic at all, some will be find once they're adults, and if you have ones like mine, they will always be cannibalistic and attempt to eat anything that moves whether it be plants, or other axolotls.

Frozen bloodworms cannot be fed as a staple diet, they're nutritionally incomplete. High quality pellets can be fed often but some axolotls might not eat them, which could be a problem, but most will accept them if dropped in front of their faces. Earthworm/Nightcrawler are probably the best you could feed them as a staple diet, they're good nutritionally and I personally have never seen an axolotl refuse a worm unless it was ill, although I see Red Wigglers refused all the time due to the foul secretions. And I believe worms don't feel pain if that makes it any better lol

10 gallons of water is considered the bare-minimum for 1 axolotl. 20 gallons could probably hold 1-2, 1 being easiest to maintain but is it a 20 Long/Regular/or Tall tank? The amount of floorspace is more important than depth.

Yes, cycling should be done prior to buying because it can take a long time, usually a few weeks to a month or sometimes more. Something you should do daily is spot clean any feces or uneaten food. This can be done with a turkey baster and really doesn't take too much time to do.
Thank you so much for answering all my questions! I really appreciate it! I've never thought about using a turkey baster to spot clean, that's a great idea. As for the worms, I guess I'll have to stomach my guilt and do what's best for the axies! I've never had a pet that gets fed worms before, so how should I go about it? Should I buy them from bait stores? Should I buy them from some kind of worm breeder? Or would it be best to breed them myself?

The tank would be a 20 gallon long :happy:.

Also, is it acceptable to house only 1 axolotl? I'm used to hermit crabs, where if you only have one it can become depressed and die. :(

innerdialogue

Reaction score
Oh, okay! Sorry for making a thread like this, then. Although the name is self explanatory, I didn't realize that's what the care sheet was, so I didn't click the link. Sorry for wasting your time :(

Sorry if I'm being annoying or these questions don't make sense to you :( I just want to make sure I do what's best for them.

It's not a waste of time at all. :D I'm just simply pointing out ways to save you time.

keiko

Reaction score
An axolotl will be fine alone, but they aren't territorial so it's possible to keep several of them together too. My copper was housed alone at first when I got her and she was fine with it even though she had a tank mate before.

Good quality pellets can be fed as a staple and most axies will learn to eat them. I have one axie who in fact refuses worms from time to time and prefers pellets. You can get worms from bait shops for example, just make sure there isn't anything added to the worms. Or you can breed them yourself. Red wrigglers are very easy to breed, but they are sometimes refused by some axies.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Axolotls are fine alone and in groups they still barely interact. Besides the few cases of super aggressive axolotls, a well fed axolotl isn't aggressive towards others.

Fox

Reaction score
Thank you very much, all of you! I deeply appreciate your responses! Also, would I be correct in saying you can't sex 3" - 4" axolotls? So I couldn't order two 3" - 4" females or two 3" - 4" males because you can't determine their sex?

keiko

Reaction score
Thank you very much, all of you! I deeply appreciate your responses! Also, would I be correct in saying you can't sex 3" - 4" axolotls? So I couldn't order two 3" - 4" females or two 3" - 4" males because you can't determine their sex?

Yes, it's only possible to sex them once they are sexually mature after about 8 months/inches. It's possible to make guesses before that based on the shape of the cloaca, but they are only guesses.

Last edited:

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
! I've never had a pet that gets fed worms before, so how should I go about it? Should I buy them from bait stores? Should I buy them from some kind of worm breeder? Or would it be best to breed them myself?
I buy all my worms from walmart in the fishing/sports section, I either buy Canadian Nightcrawlers and cut them in half and feed them to my axolotls or if they have "Dillies"(baby nightcrawlers) I feed those whole. I would also open the container before buying it to check for fungus, and pick one without fungus, and I would stay away from "Red Worms/ Red Wigglers" as they secrete a foul substance when cut and many caudates regurgitate them or refuse them.
And yes, pellets can also be fed as a staple, even though I prefer live food. Ive used HBH Newt and Salamander pellets in the past and I know a lot of people feed Salmon pellets and Hikari sinking carnivore pellets too.

Fox

Reaction score
Yes, it's only possible to sex them once they are sexually mature after about 8 months/inches. It's possible to make guesses before that based on the shape of the cloaca, but they are only guesses.
Okay, thanks! In that case I think I'll buy one juvenile and decide if I want another one from there... My main concern is buying two sex ambiguous juvies and finding out that one is male and one is female once they're grown, because then I would have to get rid of one to avoid breeding. That would break my heart. :(

I buy all my worms from walmart in the fishing/sports section, I either buy Canadian Nightcrawlers and cut them in half and feed them to my axolotls or if they have "Dillies"(baby nightcrawlers) I feed those whole. I would also open the container before buying it to check for fungus, and pick one without fungus, and I would stay away from "Red Worms/ Red Wigglers" as they secrete a foul substance when cut and many caudates regurgitate them or refuse them.
And yes, pellets can also be fed as a staple, even though I prefer live food. Ive used HBH Newt and Salamander pellets in the past and I know a lot of people feed Salmon pellets and Hikari sinking carnivore pellets too.

Thank you! This helps a lot. Although my city doesn't have any Walmarts, I'm sure there are bait stores and things of the like around here. I'm glad you told me this, because I would have probably bought the red worms / wigglers by mistake!

I think I'll try both worms and pellets and see which one it likes best. Also, do juveniles require a special diet? Or are worms and pellets okay for them too?

keiko

Reaction score
If the axie is very small then it's ok to feed them bloodworms for example, but as soon as they are big enough to eat chopped earth worms or pellets, that should be their staple.

Fox

Reaction score
I see... So their staple diet should be bloodworms when they're very small? Nothing else? I just want to make extra sure I feed them well! :happy:

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Bloodworms are used because they are the easiest to find at most pet stores as frozen cubes and axolotls will readily take them. Live blackworms are a better option but usually have to be ordered online. Really live earthworms or a good staple diet would be best at all stages of development

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1