Questions please help?

MidnightGamer999

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been doing my research on axolotls for a while and there's a chance that my parents are going to get me an axolotl for my birthday, but here's the thing, my mom said I have to have 2 axolotls which would be a 40 gallon tank, and that they both have to be the same size as well as the same gender, . . . I have my research report on axolotls somewhere but I can't find it, so here's my questions: 1. which gender should I get?, 2. What type of substrate is best for them?, 3. Bloodworms or 1mm salmon pellets for their food?, (My mom wanted me to ask this question: 4.is there a tank kit that comes with the essentials needed?)

Hi I can answer a bit i dont personally keep axolotls but from what I've heard they are normally non social animals and as for the substrate I would use fine sand as gravel can be harmful If digested if you do want to use gravel make sure its bigger than its head hopefully this helps sorry if I have the wrong information I'm new here 🤣🤣🤣

Hi I can answer a bit i dont personally keep axolotls but from what I've heard they are normally non social animals and as for the substrate I would use fine sand as gravel can be harmful If digested if you do want to use gravel make sure its bigger than its head hopefully this helps sorry if I have the wrong information I'm new here 🤣🤣🤣
Just being bigger than the head is not enough and can be more harmful. There are users on here who keep their axolotls on pea-size gravel though it is controversial.

Your axolotls will need to be at least one year old since it's impossible to sex them when they are young. Some tank mates bully each other so I would recommend a tank divider just in case. Unless they are coming from the same tank, they'll need to be quarantined from each other for at least a month.

Axolotls need a varied diet. Earthworms and nightcrawlers should be staples but they can also eat salmon pellets, small shrimp, small fish (guppies, minnows, etc.), and other meats.

as a new/first time owner if you use a substrate it would need to be either too small to cause harm by swallowing ie.. sand, aquatic compost etc.., or too large to swallow ie.. large rocks, slate etc.., the other main issue would be cleaning the tank, having rocks etc.. can allow for food/waste to build up underneath/behind, sometimes the easiest route to take is bare bottom or a thin layer of sand if your axolotls are large enough ie.. five inches and up.
having two males would be best as it is easy to get two females then find out that one is an immature male, make sure there are plenty of caves/hides so they both have their own area if needed, if they are of the age to be sexed then they will be at the age where they will be less aggressive to each other and more tolerant, this doesn't mean that they wont be aggressive just that it is less likely. and yes they will need to be equal sized or one could become food for the other.
food wise there is plenty of live and frozen food to choose from as well as using pellets, the main thing being that the food is meet based as they are carnivores.
go to Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander for more information or use the search feature on this forum for any questions and answers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back