Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Questions

wolfen

Reaction score
Can everyone see the questions you post under “start a conversation”?
if it's the part that says 'start conversation (private message)' then no only the person you are messaging can.

Lil RED

Reaction score
I’ll just post my questions here!

So my first question is this: So I just recently got a 20 gal high aquarium to upgrade my axie from his 10 gal he’s 8 1/2 inches but I would really like to get another and a lot of places say that’s plenty big enough for 2 axolotls so what I was thinking is if they get stressed, aggressive, etc. I will move which ever one is smaller to the 10 gal so they each get their own 20 inches of space. Is this a good plan?

My next question is: Are my axolotls gills just heavy? His tank has just the right measurements, the filter flow is fine and he seems fine and he eats normal but just barely one of his top gills are curled it doesn’t look like a stress curl but idk!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 46C2A4F6-2829-4F77-8C5B-B84D8793D6EF.jpeg
    46C2A4F6-2829-4F77-8C5B-B84D8793D6EF.jpeg
    950.5 KB · Views: 102

Lil RED

Reaction score
Here’s a better pic

Attachments

• 2C2FD179-8D12-402A-8AA8-0C6081012519.jpeg
    2C2FD179-8D12-402A-8AA8-0C6081012519.jpeg
    966.8 KB · Views: 74

wolfen

Reaction score
normally with stress all the gills are curled forward. so I wouldn't say it was stress.

Lil RED

Reaction score
Great his gills are looking perfect now! He must just have heavy gills!
Thank you so much for your help!

Attachments

• A84E7868-DDF5-435C-8896-FB6FAD2DED29.jpeg
    A84E7868-DDF5-435C-8896-FB6FAD2DED29.jpeg
    793.7 KB · Views: 66

Lil RED

Reaction score
I have another question: So recently like 4 days ago I started up a new tank and it already has 0 Nitrites and 0 Ammonia does that mean I can add my Axolotl? It’s only been 4 days

JM29

Reaction score
I have another question: So recently like 4 days ago I started up a new tank and it already has 0 Nitrites and 0 Ammonia does that mean I can add my Axolotl? It’s only been 4 days
Impossible to give a relevant answer without any information on this new tank.
Sorry

Lil RED

Reaction score
What info do you need? It’s a 20 gal high with sand and I’ve been adding Axolotl safe tank startup chemicals

JM29

Reaction score
Ok.
Your new tank has been set up for 4 days.
Let's suppose you have filled it with dechlorinated (or non-chlorinated) water.
Let's suppose the temperature is correct (between 12 and 18°C - no heater).

Case 1 : you have a new filter in this new tank. 4 days is far too short to be cycled. Putting an axolotl in it now would be very dangerous as ammonia excreted by this animal will not be converted into nitrates (let alone the nitrites spike !). Risk of ammonium burn, especially with high pH. Don't add your axolotl. Find an ammonia source to begin to cycle the filter.

Case 2 : you have a new tank but you have an old, already cycled, filter from another tank (this filter has never stopped turning). Then the risks of ammonia burn or nitrite spike is reduced. Be sure your filter is large enoug to contain enough biomedia to do the job with an axolotl. You can add your axolotl but keep monitoring nitrogen compounds for at least 2 weeks.

Case 3 : you have no filter but your tank is heavily (I insist on heavily) planted with at least one fast-growing aquatic plant. And, of course, a good light. In this case, you can add your axolotl right now. The plants will uptake directly ammonia (It could explain why you have 0 ammonia). That's how I've been doing (successfuly) for 20 years now.

Case 4 : you have no filter and no plants. Critical situation which will require frequent and massive water changes to avoid ammonia burn.

Ok ?

Lil RED

Reaction score
Great Ty! I do not have a cycled filter but I have been putting in the necessary chemicals thank you very much for educating me on that! (I’m not being sarcastic) I will let it cycle for longer!

Lil RED

Reaction score
Hey sorry I have one more question this tank rights here had a cycled filter and has a good plant and it been going for a few days (I changed all the water) do you think I can add my fish back in (The ammonia and Nitrite are at 0)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 71

wolfen

Reaction score
Hey sorry I have one more question this tank rights here had a cycled filter and has a good plant and it been going for a few days (I changed all the water) do you think I can add my fish back in (The ammonia and Nitrite are at 0)
how was the filter cycled?
nite-out is bottled bacteria that will help establish a bacteria colony but a full cycle is still required for a colony to be developed.
bottled bacteria is useful in speeding up cycling as it introduces bacteria that would otherwise have to be grown from the start, it can also be used after a filter clean in case the bacteria colony has been harmed or as a general top up.

Lil RED

Reaction score
The cycle has been filtered by filtering all the water except the 20% the gets exchanged for clean water and it has a slightly used filter cartridge

wolfen

Reaction score
The cycle has been filtered by filtering all the water except the 20% the gets exchanged for clean water and it has a slightly used filter cartridge
what I mean't was what ammonia source was used and at what levels was it at to cycle.

Lil RED

Reaction score
Hey I’m so sorry for all the questions I’ve spent a long time researching and they both aren’t cycled yet but I’m all good now!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1