Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

R.I.P Stark and Merlin.

Quentari

Reaction score
I only have pictures of Stark, Merlin got too sick too quickly to get any good photo's of him. Stark died suddenly. I woke up and Stark was dead, I'd only had him 6 days. I still don't know what killed him, all I know is that 6 days is plenty of time to get very attached to a pet and burying him was hard.

Merlin was his brother, a lecustic I brought for my mother-in-law for mothers day. On the 5th day his cloaca prolapsed and his missing leg started getting infected. He died two days later.

I just... I didn't even get to show Stark off to anyone. He was a wild type and had pretty gold spots in a stripe down his belly, which I didn't even notice until the 3rd day. He was barely 10cm long, just a baby. Merlin was even smaller.

Anyone in Melbourne thinking of getting an axolotl from the outside stall at the Laverton Market... I wouldn't recommend it.

Attachments

• IMG_0682.jpg
    IMG_0682.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_0675.jpg
    IMG_0675.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0698[1].jpg
    IMG_0698[1].jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 242

LJay

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your axolotl :( sad times! Hope you can find a new companion :)

Quentari

Reaction score
Merlin and Stark were replaced on saturday from a different stall at the laverton market. But that turns out to have been a stupid decision on my part because one's not living in the fridge and the other died today :/ my week has been horrible.

Sir Kippy

Reaction score
This is just awful news to hear!! I am sorry for your losses!! Is there no breeders in your area so you can avoid getting one from the markets?

Quentari

Reaction score
This is just awful news to hear!! I am sorry for your losses!! Is there no breeders in your area so you can avoid getting one from the markets?

none that I know of. If there was a breeder you can bet I wouldn't have brought any from shops (the "home grown" ones seem to have nicer gills and none of these health problems!) Stark, Merlin and George are all dead and poor little Bruce couching up blood :( It's not looking well.

pondweed

Reaction score
Aaah, I just realised you answered the question about breeders I asked in the other thread here.

What are the laws on posting/transporting Axolotls in Aus? I'd think it would be too hot to risk... But it should be coming into the cooler months now?

sillymoogle7

Reaction score
I'm so very sorry, what a terrible experience for you :( Is this an outdoor market? I've heard of folk in Australia picking up axies from outdoor markets in really bad condition. They just can't stand the heat.

Quentari

Reaction score
Aaah, I just realised you answered the question about breeders I asked in the other thread here.

What are the laws on posting/transporting Axolotls in Aus? I'd think it would be too hot to risk... But it should be coming into the cooler months now?

just shipping across australia I think is the same as most countries, but I know we don't let ANY eggs/axies in or out when it comes to overseas shipping.

Quentari

Reaction score
I'm so very sorry, what a terrible experience for you :( Is this an outdoor market? I've heard of folk in Australia picking up axies from outdoor markets in really bad condition. They just can't stand the heat.

It was an outdoor market, and I guess it was only 20-22 degrees that day they might have been poorly from the start.

sillymoogle7

Reaction score
Hmm, I reckon that was probably the problem. Heat stress is a killer. I live in the UK and mine get uncomfortable at 20C. I really hope you find a good, reputable breeder and are able to adopt some healthy babies :)

Quentari

Reaction score
Hmm, I reckon that was probably the problem. Heat stress is a killer. I live in the UK and mine get uncomfortable at 20C. I really hope you find a good, reputable breeder and are able to adopt some healthy babies :)

I hope so too. At the moment Bruce is still alive and doesn't seem to be stressed or in pail (no curled tail or gills) but he's still got blood coming out of his mouth :(

Kerry M

Reaction score
So sorry to hear that you have been through so much sadness. Hopefully there are members on the forum from Melbourne who can give you a hand getting a healthy axie.

beverleyx

Reaction score
:angel: RIP little guys, the best Axies to buy are from other hobbyists , they are always healthy and as a rule they are good home reared stock x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1