Rainwater, RO water or Distilled water for my water change

Axel_Justice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a problem. With my tank, I'm doing a fishless cycle and my nitrates are through the roof over 180ppm. Turns out my tap water has like 60ppm of nitrates

My water parameters haven't moved in about 3 weeks, ive tried moss balls and duckweed but its barely helping, so it's been suggested I do like a 50% water change with pure water.

I cannot however get a clear answer on what to use. I've got a bunch of rain water, I know it needs to be treated with something but I can't workout what, guy at the reptile shop told me put some kh up in it and it'll be fine but I'm not convinced

A garden centre near me sells RO water, £3 for 25 litres so that's a bargain, and they sell seachem equilibrium which I believe is specifically made to treat RO water however my car died and I have no way to get to the garden centre and no where sells it for delivery

I can buy distilled water off of amazon but again I can't find a clear answer on whether can use distilled water or how to treat it. This would be easiest option for me though

What would you suggest?

seachem equilibrium is for planted tanks and contains high amounts of potash and iron which although are good for plants are bad for axolotls.
please go to Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity for info on holtfreters solution and modified solution for the minerals and salt required for axolotls.
axolotls ideal nitrate level is <10ppm but they can tolerate <110ppm. on a cycling tank don't do a water change until it is 110ppm or higher.
60ppm nitrates in the water will be fine whilst it is cycling. but rain water/ro/distilled would be better once it is cycled but salts and minerals will need adding.
check you ph if the cycling seems to have stopped/stalled, if it is below ph7 add bicarbonate of soda to bring it up to 7.4 - 7.6

I checked my pH and it seems to be fine. I didn't know that about the equilibrium thank you for that, saved me from buying the wrong thing.

So do a water change with my tap water for now?

I checked my pH and it seems to be fine. I didn't know that about the equilibrium thank you for that, saved me from buying the wrong thing.

So do a water change with my tap water for now?
whilst it is cycling the nitrates in the tap water wont make much difference, just make sure it is dechlorinated before hand.

For water changes I have two big 5 gallon jugs that I get refilled at the local grocery store for $0.25 a gallon. I used to use tap water and dechlorinate it, but I have really hard tap water that leaves behind white mineral deposits as it evaporates. I would think distilled water would be your best bet for partial water changes to lower that concentration - the distilled water is basically just pure water.

For water changes I have two big 5 gallon jugs that I get refilled at the local grocery store for $0.25 a gallon. I used to use tap water and dechlorinate it, but I have really hard tap water that leaves behind white mineral deposits as it evaporates. I would think distilled water would be your best bet for partial water changes to lower that concentration - the distilled water is basically just pure water.
for axolotls hard water is perfect, they originate from a environment that is fed by mountain streams that are rich in mineral and salts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back