Illness/Sickness: Rapidly growing strange things all over axolotls!!

The-Axolotl

Reaction score
Country
Australia
HELP PLEASE!! 😭
Hi, so I have just got 2 axolotls about 2 months ago ( there names are Axie and Jerald ) and I have realised some things growing off them, to me it does not look like fungus ( from what have seen on this website so far )but I'm still not sure? Its a 20 gallon tank. The temp is usually 20 - 22 degrease. The water parameters seem fine they are:

Ammonia: 0.0
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: 5.0
pH: 7.0- 7.5

They did have fungus ( the cotton type stuff nothing like what they have now ) when we got them but we salt bathed then for a few days and it came of. We also asked the pet shop owner what the white fluff on the gills were (before we salt bathed them) and he said it was growth, but it was not If it was fungus and every single axolotl at that pet shop had it there was like 7 axies!! ( in a tiny tank ). But anyway if anyone could help with the strange growth on the axies it would be great ( if needed I can attach pictures of the axolotls )

Last edited:
I personally never had to deal with anchor worms so I probably won’t be of much help. But if you could post some pictures of your axolotls it might help others to figure out what’s going or come up with a solution! Either way I wish you tons of luck and I hope that whatever’s going on goes away soon:).

if they are anchor worms it looks like they would definitely need a vet for anesthesia manual removal

Want never mind I got one photo its still a little dark ill get more tomorow (this pic only shows 3 of them there is way more)

Attachments

• WIN_20220117_19_39_24_Pro (2)_LI.jpg
    WIN_20220117_19_39_24_Pro (2)_LI.jpg
    763.9 KB · Views: 155
Hello there, try this thread, it might help you with some ways to help the anchor worms.

For your little axies diet please try to feed him bloodworms/earthworms. Try to give him salt baths once a day. Try to consider fridging your axolotl for a while and try to bring him to your local exotic vet. Make sure your water parameters are stable, low currents and a good temperature. Axolotls with anchor worms can usually spread to another Axie within a matter of time. The vet can remove the anchorworms from the axolotl manually with anaesthesia too, but do not try to get rid of the anchor worms yourself. Fridging will help distress your axie but won't completely heal it.

Try to consult your local exotic pets vet so they can advise you with any medications for your axie. I wish you the best of luck for your axie.

Well my water parameters are stable temp is usually good not much currents, we salt bathed them when they had fungus but then they anchor worm thing came back worse, we don't have a local vet who can do axolotls :( anchor worms are actually on both axies diet is frozen axolotl food and we have 2 feeder fish in the tank ( we had 5 but 3 got eaten) we genraly salt bath them one a day but we didn't do it yesterday .if this is of any help. Also they are always starving they eat everything we have 2 live plants in the tank they are Lancia hygrophilia and pennywort other than that we have 2 hides and a fake glow in the dark coral wich is pink ( dose any of this help? )

Hello, remove your feeder fish from your tank as fast as you can. Anchor worms can leech on to other species in your tank very fast. Go to the nearest vet, it doesn't matter how far it is. Try to feed them any earthworms if you have any. Experiment with fridging too, see if it reduces the axolotl's anchor worms.

Ok its 3 am right now so I will do it in the morning I have a tank full of goldfish shall I put the feeder fish in there? Were going to the Pet shops tomorrow anyway so I will get some worms there, they sell bloodworms are
they ok to feed them? Ill get the fridge ready for them tomorrow as well

No, the feeder fish might pass on the anchor worms to your gold fish, bloodworms are fine to feed your axolotls too.

Anchor worms can be introduced to the tank from feeder fish or even live plants.

Try to ask the store if they sell any dimilin, a medicine that treats anchor worms. Limit yourself from using any copper safe or bacterial boosters as this will cause even more problems. Wish you luck.

Ok will do ill reply here tomorrow after I go to the Pet shop
i personally think they have anchor worm. the picture isn’t great but from what i can see i think it is- i have no advice in this area as ive never dealt with anchor worm, but trust the people of caudata to offer you any advice they can :)

A thread on this subject was posted 1 week ago (diagnosis and solution)

Ill get better pics of the axolotls now

Edit: I have to get them later, they are hiding in their tube

Ok I got pics of one side of one of the axolotls

Attachments

• WIN_20220118_11_41_52_Pro_LI.jpg
    WIN_20220118_11_41_52_Pro_LI.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 86
  • WIN_20220118_11_41_16_Pro_LI.jpg
    WIN_20220118_11_41_16_Pro_LI.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 98
Went to the Pet shop and couldn't find dimilin but we got another fish anchor worm remover thing its like. Tablet and you desolve it in their tAnk its called 'blue planet PARACIDE' and each tablet contains 20mg of trichlorfon is this ok for the axies? Also bought salt because we were running out in case they need to be salt bathed

Attachments

• WIN_20220118_11_41_16_Pro_LI.jpg
    WIN_20220118_11_41_16_Pro_LI.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 72
  • WIN_20220118_11_41_52_Pro_LI.jpg
    WIN_20220118_11_41_52_Pro_LI.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 74
Yea, try a few. See if it goes well or not. You can find dimilin at amazon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back