Rate my plan for first Axolotl 😊

Animal_addict_88

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!
New here, though I've kept leopard geckos and other lizards for years.

We have a 20gal long tank which has been up and running for a few years now with fish (platys) and ghost shrimp (as cleaners).

There is only 1 fish and 1 tiny shrimpy left. I've been looking into getting an axolotl for a while and this feels like the right time rather than restocking with fish. (Don't panic, I'll rehome the current inhabitants with friends lol).

I have a couple of questions though:

- Is a temp range of 18-21C ok? I've found that's what this tank averages out to across the year without a heater.

- can I still use an air stone or similar for 'bubble effect' or would this cause stress?

- I don't want to have to get a smaller tank for starting out, so what is the minimum sized axolotl that would be happy going straight into a 20 gal long tank?

- Finally (for now lol), the tank already has gravel and plastic plants. I'm assuming I'll need to change the gravel out bit by bit with fish still in tank in order to build up some good bacteria (I'm thinking probably sand, or else a fixed/ false floor like tile)? Also, can the plastic plants stay or should I swap out for silk?

Thanks so much in advance! Any other advice/ recommendations welcomed 😊

temp range should be okay - so should the tank size, you can keep the ghost shrimp (but they might get eaten)
ive never used an air stone before, but ive heard they work wonderfully! the axolotl would probably be fine living their entire life in a 20 gallon tbh. and idk about the gravel, i’d switch it out all at once if it were me :)

I was worried about messing with the nitrogen cycle of I changed the whole substrate at once, but also still haven't decided lol.
May get the tank set up how I want it without a deep clean and same filter, then use fish to cycle again for a bit.

I was worried about messing with the nitrogen cycle of I changed the whole substrate at once, but also still haven't decided lol.
May get the tank set up how I want it without a deep clean and same filter, then use fish to cycle again for a bit.
i think that’s a good idea yeah

Hello!
New here, though I've kept leopard geckos and other lizards for years.

We have a 20gal long tank which has been up and running for a few years now with fish (platys) and ghost shrimp (as cleaners).

There is only 1 fish and 1 tiny shrimpy left. I've been looking into getting an axolotl for a while and this feels like the right time rather than restocking with fish. (Don't panic, I'll rehome the current inhabitants with friends lol).

I have a couple of questions though:

- Is a temp range of 18-21C ok? I've found that's what this tank averages out to across the year without a heater.

- can I still use an air stone or similar for 'bubble effect' or would this cause stress?

- I don't want to have to get a smaller tank for starting out, so what is the minimum sized axolotl that would be happy going straight into a 20 gal long tank?

- Finally (for now lol), the tank already has gravel and plastic plants. I'm assuming I'll need to change the gravel out bit by bit with fish still in tank in order to build up some good bacteria (I'm thinking probably sand, or else a fixed/ false floor like tile)? Also, can the plastic plants stay or should I swap out for silk?

Thanks so much in advance! Any other advice/ recommendations welcomed 😊
I've found that axolotls like airstones. My axie sits under the bubbles all the time. If you get the circle kind some of them like the way the bubbles push them up and they tend to play on it a lot. Also, plastic plants are okay for axolotls. They are a good hide but serve no value except looking pretty!

I've found that axolotls like airstones. My axie sits under the bubbles all the time. If you get the circle kind some of them like the way the bubbles push them up and they tend to play on it a lot. Also, plastic plants are okay for axolotls. They are a good hide but serve no value except looking pretty!
i do have to recommend java ferns though, they work wonderfully for me and i always catch my little interior designer sleeping on them (before they were attached to rocks, he would pick them up and move them around his tank)
they’re very hardy and repro easily, if you have a pet shop nearby there should be some java ferns or crested java ferns. both are gorgeous and help regulate things :)

i do have to recommend java ferns though, they work wonderfully for me and i always catch my little interior designer sleeping on them (before they were attached to rocks, he would pick them up and move them around his tank)
they’re very hardy and repro easily, if you have a pet shop nearby there should be some java ferns or crested java ferns. both are gorgeous and help regulate things :)
that's so cute :love: I'll have to get some then. Thanks for the suggestions :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back