Ray from New Jersey

rreu

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All, I currently have large 4 Iberian newts, and 4 Iberian's that are probably a year old. I just got 3 Lake Urmia newts, and one Kaiser newt. I try to support my local pet store for many of these things. In the past, when I was a kid, I have had California Newts and "California fire belly" newts. And I miss them sooo much! We also have Eastern Spotted newts in New York and they have always been in our pond(s) and in the forest.
Currently I have an outdoor pond with many common Green frogs and Toads that come seasonally in the spring.
Looking to breed the newts and see if I can obtain a few more Kaiser newts..

Also, just raised a Spotted Salamander from some eggs upstate, only one grew to maturity. I have seen many spotted and once Jefferson's salamander upstate in the 'Catskill mountains", besides the newts there.

Attachments

• Kaiser Newt.jpg
    Kaiser Newt.jpg
    969.6 KB · Views: 886
Hi All, I currently have large 4 Iberian newts, and 4 Iberian's that are probably a year old. I just got 3 Lake Urmia newts, and one Kaiser newt. I try to support my local pet store for many of these things. In the past, when I was a kid, I have had California Newts and "California fire belly" newts. And I miss them sooo much! We also have Eastern Spotted newts in New York and they have always been in our pond(s) and in the forest.
Currently I have an outdoor pond with many common Green frogs and Toads that come seasonally in the spring.
Looking to breed the newts and see if I can obtain a few more Kaiser newts..

Also, just raised a Spotted Salamander from some eggs upstate, only one grew to maturity. I have seen many spotted and once Jefferson's salamander upstate in the 'Catskill mountains", besides the newts there.
Hey, Ray from Jersey, I hope you had a pleasant holiday season so far. I'm Matt and I live in South Jersey. Camden County to be more precise. I have a question for you; You mentioned breeding Newts and whatnot... I am currently trying to obtain Newts and this is my first day on Caudata.org, all the sites I've gone to that sell newts and salamanders as a trade have nothing or are ridiculous in price. I'm not interested in making money, I find breeding newts very therapeutic and would gladly do it just to make more and circulate them among the Caudata.org community. Do you have any Newts you would be interested in rehoming in order to be bred, on the condition that the majority of the offspring would be given back to you? Of course, we could iron out the rest of the details and get to know each other first.
By the way, have you heard anything about Taricha rivularis aka the California Newt? It also has relatives like T. granulosa, and I think a few others that live up to Oregon, Washinton, British Columbia, Southernmost Alaska, and even an isolated population in Idaho. I thought I'd ask because I vaguely remember them from my childhood. I'm 32 so I remember the 90s pet trade extremely well. I believe my brother had one when we were children, I could be confusing it with an Eastern Newt. Anyway, I had a fire belly newt named Morticia, and his newt was named d Morticia, so that put me off keeping Newts for a little bit.
Now they are a passion project. I'm trying to find the Taricha genus to start a captive breeding program for conservation. I do not want to even think about what the wildfires did to those noble and beautiful creatures' populations.
Hoping to hear from you in any capacity,
Sincerely,
Matthew Di Serio

P.S. your Lake Urmia Newts are gorgeous by the way.

Hey, Ray from Jersey, I hope you had a pleasant holiday season so far. I'm Matt and I live in South Jersey. Camden County to be more precise. I have a question for you; You mentioned breeding Newts and whatnot... I am currently trying to obtain Newts and this is my first day on Caudata.org, all the sites I've gone to that sell newts and salamanders as a trade have nothing or are ridiculous in price. I'm not interested in making money, I find breeding newts very therapeutic and would gladly do it just to make more and circulate them among the Caudata.org community. Do you have any Newts you would be interested in rehoming in order to be bred, on the condition that the majority of the offspring would be given back to you? Of course, we could iron out the rest of the details and get to know each other first.
By the way, have you heard anything about Taricha rivularis aka the California Newt? It also has relatives like T. granulosa, and I think a few others that live up to Oregon, Washinton, British Columbia, Southernmost Alaska, and even an isolated population in Idaho. I thought I'd ask because I vaguely remember them from my childhood. I'm 32 so I remember the 90s pet trade extremely well. I believe my brother had one when we were children, I could be confusing it with an Eastern Newt. Anyway, I had a fire belly newt named Morticia, and his newt was named d Morticia, so that put me off keeping Newts for a little bit.
Now they are a passion project. I'm trying to find the Taricha genus to start a captive breeding program for conservation. I do not want to even think about what the wildfires did to those noble and beautiful creatures' populations.
Hoping to hear from you in any capacity,
Sincerely,
Matthew Di Serio

P.S. your Lake Urmia Newts are gorgeous by the way.
Hi. I don't currently have any that I am looking to rehome.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back