Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Really big terrarium

Cecilia

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking at setting up a vivarium for red eyed tree frogs and tiger legged monkey frogs. The tank I have bought is apx 175 gallons and is quite large. I have figured out what I am doing for the water features and the back wall and decorations etc. My only question is what exactly can I do to heat a terrarium this large??I have owned red eyes and various other species for years but have never had to heat a terrarium on this scale. Any suggestions??
Thanks\Cecilia

kay

Reaction score
Wow that's a huge tank, should look wonderful once it is complete. Now I am no expert but I have purchased a 2 bulb exo terra heat hood. It works great. I think the max watt on it is 40 tho, so those bulb fixtures may not get your tank to your optimal temperature. You could possible use a conbination between a hood such a this with a heating pad stuck on the other side of the tank. What temp are you aiming for?

Cecilia

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions!!!I am hoping for the gradient to go from about 25-30 that way they can choose where they would like to be.....I like the idea of a hood but at only 40 watts and a tank thats apx a metre high I dont know how efficient that would be???

kay

Reaction score
Well since you could put 2 bulbs in one hood, I'm pretty sure it would produce a substantial amount of heat. Also I was mistaken the max watt is 26, If you get the large hood that can place 4 bulbs, you will for sure have enough heat. You will probably have to find a mesh/ screen top to cover your tank first though because these hoods are usually not the exact size of your tank.

It will take some playing around to find the fixtures and bulbs that will work best for your tank, but this is what I would suggest. These hoods can allow you the freedom to place different UV bulbs, as well as nightime glo bulbs.

Good Luck!

Ps. I had originally posted 2 links for you, but I just re-read the posting rules and it said no commercial links... So I'll just say go to google and look up exo terra.

Last edited:

punctata

Reaction score
If you are experienced with Tree frogs and do a good deal of research I would go with Giant Waxy Monkey Frogs (bicolors). Large frog that would love all the space. The only thing with these guys do to their large size is that you want to be careful with what substrate you use. These frogs lunge visiously at their prey and can get a mouth full of other stuff. Or you can bowl feed them with a large bowl. There are many other frogs out there . good luck

Cecilia

Reaction score
Thanks guys still trying to get all the stuff together to make my water features....so i have a bit of time

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1