Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: REALLY! Falcor laid another batch!

Hellcat73

Reaction score
oK IM NOT happy..lol...falcor hatched out 600 plus hatchlings a week ago..and im caring for them and feeding them....my Male and female are house in a 75 gallon...and I was debating seperating them...but I cant have tanks all over the house...the point of my 75 gal was to have a small group of same sex Axo's....well I did a nice big tank clean,scrubbed all the rocks and plants...and had both out of the tank in seperate tubs....it was then i was telling the BF maybe I can find my male a nice home with other males of his size....and I kept him in the tub most the day.....felt sorry for him later,and put him back with Falcor....welllllll ths am im cleaning poop in the tank and i noticed the lttle buggers mated again! Not a big batch (YET) but my nice clean tank has eggs all over again!!!!!!!:p:mad::confused::eek: I was under the impression that another mating would be awhile again....as the male and female have to recoup and she sure laid a ton of eggs the first time...!!! WTH! Lesson learned...I have the perfect breeding habitat,so I'm doing something right! But im gussing this isnt unusual???

Hellcat73

Reaction score
Yeah I figured so...I did more reading....She is now ...in a 75gallon tank alone....My GFPWild boy found a new home...where he can hang with other males...I decided to keep it a female tank...and my GFP white boy can stay in his 20gal long...as a batchelor! Lol lol;) Falcor alsogot one of her gills bitten off...so shes not only run down from the 2 egg laying sessions,she has to regrow a peice! Poor thing..so far shes eating good and healthy...

Reaction score
I had kept a mixed tank of males and females for years, and there was the occasional egg laying. However, this last fall/winter they would not stop laying eggs... It was insane... Three months ago I set up a separate tank for the males and wish I had done that sooner. No more unplanned eggs for me! Now just to find the rest of the juveniles from the madness new homes... :D

I hope Falcor recovers well!

Hellcat73

Reaction score
yeah she really isnt fully grown yet,i was silly to think that nothing would happen so soon! Bad lesson to learn,but we all go through a learning curve.luckily I have a knack for animal care and the hatchlings are doing way better then I hoped..Falcor seems to be ok so far,she was hiding for a few days but realizes shes alone again and is off exploring her tank again...Bob the snail however looks not too good...uggg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!