Really swollen neck and jaw. Help please!

toothless_22

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I’ve had two axolotls for about 2 years now. One of them, my leucisitic one, a few weeks ago stopped eating and then got super swollen. I feed them each a few night crawlers a week (1 every few days). I noticed her neck (right behind her gills) was huge and then under her mouth got super super swollen too. Her limbs are also potentially swollen it is hard to tell. After a few days, I moved her to the fridge because she was looking worse. It has been 1.5 weeks now and nothing is better.

Here is what I know: In the summers I keep them in a 100 gallon black tub in the basement because that’s the coolest place in the house. Water temperature around 72F (I know it’s high but has been fine for the past 2 summers). I’ve tested all other parameters and they are fine! All 0, nitrate 20, pH was 8.4 (!!) but I brought it down to 7.4 with almond leaves. My other axolotl is totally fine. There is no substrate or anything she could have swallowed, and when I checked in her mouth I didn’t see anything, just swollen.
I’ve called 9 vets in the area and none see axolotls.
I’m really at a loss here and really sad. I don’t know what else to do for her. Does anyone have any ideas? I’ll attach some pictures.
C5EBC1B1-3765-4800-8687-DC92F9238359.jpeg3D901455-7A30-42A0-AB7B-5BE8E70ACCD6.jpeg

I talked with another axo friend and we both think bacterial infection since theres no abdominal swelling.

API EM Erythromycin or Furan 2 are your best options - The triple Sulfa I could find anyone thats used it before.

Enrofloxacin is the best option but only from a vet.

I was able to contact a vet but they said the initial visit would cost $200, before diagnostic testing and treatment, and I cannot afford that. I have API EM Erythromycin and I also have Methylene blue. Do you know how to use these to treat her? Concentration, length of time, etc?
Also, her body used to be swollen but has gone down in the fridge. Her throat and neck have remained swollen though, in case that changes anything. Thank you for your comment! Please let me know any advice.

Body swelling is happening you may be looking at the start of organ failure causing ascites.

Meth blue won't help but EM may if its infection.

I'll find the dosage after my appointment

The vet documents dont list the dose for EM. Follow the directions on the package.

Thanks. I’ve been giving the antibiotic but see no change. Here’s a picture of her swollen jaw from the side.

Attachments

• 2FB690F2-333C-41E6-9DA2-51B72112F7D0.jpeg
    2FB690F2-333C-41E6-9DA2-51B72112F7D0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 216
Hi. Can you give update information of yours? Because my one has bloating neck too...Nowadays I gave her a food with aqua medicine but more and more bloating..

Hi. Can you give update information of yours? Because my one has bloating neck too...Nowadays I gave her a food with aqua medicine but more and more bloating..
what are the water perameters ph/ammonia/nitrites/nitrates if possible kh and gh also temperature. for bloat try using holtfreters solution or modified as it could be osmosis causing bloat. Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity for details on making holtfreters solution.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back