Rearing larval Eurycea

Nshepard

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking for information regarding the successful rearing of larval Eurycea.

Here is my proposed plan:

I intend to keep larvae in small aquariums (2.5-5 gallons) with a substrate consisting of non-buffering sand (same I've used with my Necturus for many years). Trail diet will consist of black worms, fruit flies, and chopped up red worms. Weekly 25% water changes and use of a sponge filter should ensure adequate water quality.

Sounds good. Might want to throw some java moss or other live plant material in to reduce nitrates/phosphates and improve water quality.

Tim

Might want to throw some java moss or other live plant material in to reduce nitrates/phosphates and improve water quality.

Good point! Hopefully the local aquarium store will have / can get some. I'd really like to steer away from using black worms but have had great success with raising Ambystomatids with them in the past. Do you think Daphnia would work, I've never worked with them as food...easy to culture?

I've never tried using Daphnia, but have raised many many Eurycea of multiple species with brine shrimp, whiteworms, and blackworms.

Here is a photo of the animal I am trying to raise currently:

8578673368_47dcd19191_o.jpg

I've had the most luck with chopped blackworms for small larvae and just regular blackworms for larger larvae and aquatic adults. I have fed them daphnia before and they seemed fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back