Recommendations for a tank swap (explanation in post)

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So, we are going on vacation in about 2 weeks. I have a tank that just finished cycling in the basement, or is almost done. My plan (its kinda hard to explain in text so bare with me) is to switch my axolotl and this fish tank. By that i mean, not draining any of the water, but swapping the fish from their tank in the basement, to the axolotl tank upstairs. Then, i switch the axolotl into the basement tank along with her respective decor. By doing this I don't have to move the heavy tanks or anything. I'm doing this swap because the basement is cool and I won't be here to put frozen water bottles in. The fish I keep downstairs are tropical fish (with a heater downstairs) so I'm not worried. Anyone have any tips on how to make this easier?

So, we are going on vacation in about 2 weeks. I have a tank that just finished cycling in the basement, or is almost done. My plan (its kinda hard to explain in text so bare with me) is to switch my axolotl and this fish tank. By that i mean, not draining any of the water, but swapping the fish from their tank in the basement, to the axolotl tank upstairs. Then, i switch the axolotl into the basement tank along with her respective decor. By doing this I don't have to move the heavy tanks or anything. I'm doing this swap because the basement is cool and I won't be here to put frozen water bottles in. The fish I keep downstairs are tropical fish (with a heater downstairs) so I'm not worried. Anyone have any tips on how to make this easier?
you might have to tub her while the tanks get up/down to temperature, even though you can get the basement tank cooler via a water change you will still need to get the old axolotl tank up to temperature.
are both tanks similar in size?, if so then you might also be better of changing the filters over as well, one filter has a bacteria colony that is used to the amount of waste produced by the fish the other from your axolotl, unless the waste amount is similar you are going to get spikes.

you might have to tub her while the tanks get up/down to temperature, even though you can get the basement tank cooler via a water change you will still need to get the old axolotl tank up to temperature.
are both tanks similar in size?, if so then you might also be better of changing the filters over as well, one filter has a bacteria colony that is used to the amount of waste produced by the fish the other from your axolotl, unless the waste amount is similar you are going to get spikes.
Ah ok, good idea. And yes, they are both the same size tank. I tried to match the waste level, in the basement tank i have 8 zebra danios and 2 dwarf gourami. I plan on switching her sponge filter down with my axolotl as her hang on the back filtwr is already in the basement tank cycling the tank. The new filter i bought for the fish (not axolotl) is running alongside the upstairs tank with the sponge filter, so i wont have to move that one just the sponge filter. Hopefully i explained that ok, thank you for the advice! I potentially will move them today, im not sure yet.

Update, i just finished the tank swap. My axolotl seems good. I wrote all the steps out in a google doc to make sure i didnt miss everything and everything was as safe and least stressful as possible. The fish are happy, the gourami are a little stressed but i predicted that, and my axolotl seems very happy. The basements cool and dark which im sure she loves

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back