Recurring Fungus

Mlauman

Reaction score
Country
United States
So about every 6-8 weeks our axolotl develops a small spot of fungus on the same gill. It falls off 1-2 days after a water change. He’s acting normal otherwise-eating normally and normal activity level. We change the water at least once a week if not more often. Is there something more we can do to prevent these fungus outbreaks?

So about every 6-8 weeks our axolotl develops a small spot of fungus on the same gill. It falls off 1-2 days after a water change. He’s acting normal otherwise-eating normally and normal activity level. We change the water at least once a week if not more often. Is there something more we can do to prevent these fungus outbreaks?
use holtfreters solution or a modified version in the tank water.

The salt solution treatment page of this site would help you. Caudata Culture Articles - Salt Solutions in Treating Salamanders. You can prepare a gallon/about 4L of20X stock Holtfreter's equivalent with 285 g freshwater aquarium salt. Dissolve in 3 L, then dissolve 16 g sodium bicarbonate (baking soda from supermarket is fine), add, make up to 1 gal. Dilute as needed: Start with 1X treatment (one part 20X, 19 parts plain water). A cheap kitchen balance makes this easy.

The salt solution treatment page of this site would help you. Caudata Culture Articles - Salt Solutions in Treating Salamanders. You can prepare a gallon/about 4L of20X stock Holtfreter's equivalent with 285 g freshwater aquarium salt. Dissolve in 3 L, then dissolve 16 g sodium bicarbonate (baking soda from supermarket is fine), add, make up to 1 gal. Dilute as needed: Start with 1X treatment (one part 20X, 19 parts plain water). A cheap kitchen balance makes this easy.
Thank you. I couldn’t find the formula in layman’s terms. Can I just add this to my tank? And how often?

Thank you. I couldn’t find the formula in layman’s terms. Can I just add this to my tank? And how often?
the formula for holtfreter is in both links that I previously included, if your axolotl is repeatedly getting fungus use 50% holfreters with 0.1g magnesium sulphate or johns solution which is easier but the salt strength isn't as high, steinburgs solution uses hydrochloric acid to adjust ph and isn't advised unless you are confident with chemicals.
holfreters at 100% is sodium chloride (salt) 3.5g per litre water, potassium chloride 0.05g per litre water, bicarbonate of soda 0.2g per litre water, calcium carbonate 0.1g per litre water. the axolotl colony housed all their axolotls in 50% holtfreters with magnesium sulphate 0.1g per litre water as described in the brothers article.
johns solution as described on axolotl.org is sodium chloride (salt) 1g per litre water, magnesium sulphate (epsom salts) 0.1g per litre water, bicarbonate of soda 0.1g per litre water.
the salt in the solutions help prevent fungal issues and correct osmotic imbalance, the chlorides help protect against nitrite spikes, the carbonate buffers ph by increasing kh, the calcium and magnesium correct gh and the potassium is a required mineral.
axolotls should be kept in water that contains 50% holtfreters etc.. 100% can be used in cases of disease/injury/illness etc..
axolotls are slight brackish, moderate to hard water animals and although many thrive in freshwater some do not and suffer issues because of this.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back