Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red and Black Walking Frogs

Jumpshot724

Reaction score
Hey, does anyone have any care information for these guys? I saw some in PetCo and they sparked my interest (Red and Black are my 2 favorite colors, especially together and were also my school colors before college hahaha). I know they're relatively easy to care for, but I can't find any specific info on them such as tank setup and how to care ofr them etc. Any info is greatly appreciated!!

Jumpshot724

Reaction score
The scientific name is Phrynomerus bifasciatus.

I couldn't find anything on that site, but I do know they're from Africa and they're called "walking frogs" because they lack the ability to hop like other frogs and toads. That's about the extent of my knowledge hahaha

Abrahm

Reaction score
Are you speaking of these guys?
kassmac.jpg

or these guys?
Rotstreifenfrosch400.jpg

And did you actually see the animals? Petco has incorrect labels for these animals and often sells red legged walking frogs (a Hyperolid with the scientific name Kassina maculata, the first picture) under the scientific name Phrynomantis bifasciatus (the second picture) which is really a Microhylid. The genus Kassina are the true walking frog genus, but Microhylidae usually walk also.

Either way there is very little captive care information for either frog on the web. K. maculata is a large frog from Kenya and Tanzania that lives on the edge of bodies of water. That's about all I've been able to glean about life history. Let us know which animal Petco actually has and I should be able to find a little more information for you.

Abrahm

Reaction score
Well, a quick googling of Phrynomantis bifasciatus gave me several hits. I didn't do any validation of the information but here is a good start.

Amphibia web page
Pollywog Care sheet
Animals.jrank.org
CalAcademy site (with call)

I have normally seen this frog called the red-banded rubber frog. The genus Kassina are generally called walking frogs. This frog is a burrowing species and you will probably rarely see it.

voodooburning

Reaction score
Hi there, i have a pair of these, and they are really easy to look after.
I keep mine in a 12x12x12'' exoterra.

at adult size they eat stage 2 crickets, if you get em young you might want pinheads but make sure your tank is sealed at the sides(made that mistake too often),

moist washed peat or similar substrate, deep enough for burrowing, and wet moss on top as this is where they usually sit to catch their food,

water bowl needs to be a fair size, mines about 6x3'' and holds water about 2" deep.

stick a bit of cabbage in for the bugs and you're good to go.

hope that helps

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!