Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Red Leg infection or a bruise?

axolittles

Reaction score
Https://imgur.com/a/B5DRdwT

We were on vacation for a week and our tank filter died while we were gone.

We came home to a cloudy tank and immediately set to work getting it back in order, but Sir Lancelotl and his brother seemed lethargic and stressed. We didn't bother to pull params because the tank was just clearly Not Okay and we wanted to rush them into their quarantine tubs.

Dagon, our wild type, has perked up since being put into a quarantine tub and he seems fine. But Lancey, pictured in my links above, has a leg that looks wounded or infected! He's been in quarantine for about an hour. He didn't want to eat when we first put him in, but we're going to keep trying to feed him.

I don't see any cuts or open sores or anything, but its dark red on top and nearly black-red on the bottom. I gently scrubbed his foot with my washed hands to see if it was debris or something on surface level, but it's definitely his foot.

That nub of extra skin on one leg is normal for him – its a bit of scar tissue from him healing over a cut when he was a juvie. The vein loop coming from his gill is also normal. He developed it around 8ish months ago and folks on here assured me its just a kind of "varicose vein" among axolotls and harmless.

I can't find great examples of red leg besides speckled rashes, so I'm not sure if that's what this is.

It could definitely be a bruise, because Lancelotl is known to go try and crawl into the filter output when it's off, and the lotls have moveable hides that they occasionally fight over that could definitely get moved onto a foot, so that's what I'm hoping for, but I don't want to take any chances.

If this looks like red leg, it demands immediate antibiotic treatment, so its really important I know from someone if its time to call the vet!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!