Illness/Sickness: Red Leg infection or a bruise?

axolittles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Https://imgur.com/a/B5DRdwT

We were on vacation for a week and our tank filter died while we were gone.

We came home to a cloudy tank and immediately set to work getting it back in order, but Sir Lancelotl and his brother seemed lethargic and stressed. We didn't bother to pull params because the tank was just clearly Not Okay and we wanted to rush them into their quarantine tubs.

Dagon, our wild type, has perked up since being put into a quarantine tub and he seems fine. But Lancey, pictured in my links above, has a leg that looks wounded or infected! He's been in quarantine for about an hour. He didn't want to eat when we first put him in, but we're going to keep trying to feed him.

I don't see any cuts or open sores or anything, but its dark red on top and nearly black-red on the bottom. I gently scrubbed his foot with my washed hands to see if it was debris or something on surface level, but it's definitely his foot.

That nub of extra skin on one leg is normal for him – its a bit of scar tissue from him healing over a cut when he was a juvie. The vein loop coming from his gill is also normal. He developed it around 8ish months ago and folks on here assured me its just a kind of "varicose vein" among axolotls and harmless.

I can't find great examples of red leg besides speckled rashes, so I'm not sure if that's what this is.

It could definitely be a bruise, because Lancelotl is known to go try and crawl into the filter output when it's off, and the lotls have moveable hides that they occasionally fight over that could definitely get moved onto a foot, so that's what I'm hoping for, but I don't want to take any chances.

If this looks like red leg, it demands immediate antibiotic treatment, so its really important I know from someone if its time to call the vet!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • MVM1991:
    Where'd you get that? Or is it just a combo from petsmart or something?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I’m pretty sure I got it at a Walmart.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I just looked it up to see if I can find it again. It’s actually a hyGROmeter and temperature. Which measures the dew point. Here is the difference between due point and humidity. https://www.weather.gov/arx/why_dewpoint_vs_humidityYou can calculate Th relative
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    the relative humidity using the dew point measurement.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Here is the product I purchased:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    it has a stand. And I had a spare suction from my filter. So it’s on the wall of my Sal’s enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    That’s a pic of it in the enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Nice! Also, from what I can see you have an amazing setup! What species?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    S. S. Gigliolli
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Ooo nice!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Thank you! I tried to share the video but unsuccessful. You can see it on my IG story @jnerdx
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Cool! I just have a tiger and a long tail, who we are trying to find as he ESCAPED INTO MY ROOM!
    +2
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    Hey y'all, recently my juvenile axolotl's tail has been floating and can swim down but his tail lifts to an angle and I believe that it is stressing him out. He gets in between his plants to balance himself and I am cleaning out the bottom of the tank with my baster. I believe I overfed him and he also may have eaten many air bubbles. He's been like this for nearly 1 1/2 days.
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    What would be the best thing to do ?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Redear has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey, does anyone know if hot glue is fine to glue rocks together?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Should be. Hot glue is good when dry I believe, just don't let it get too hot and you should be good. Most super glues are good as well just watch out for flume warnings
    +2
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Ok, thanks! I am going to glue together the shale I mentioned.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    hello, I am currently tubbing my axolotl due to cycling the tank. I have read different answers on how many times to do a 100% water change a day when tubbing. Some say once and some say twice. I just want to actually ask and get answers for myself. Thank
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    As often as you need to keep the water clean! Since you´re cycling, I assume you have a test kit. Just test a few times to see how long it takes for your ammonia to go up, and as soon as it does, change the water.
    +2
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    Yes,I have the master test kit. Thank you! So just test the water in the tub that my axolotl is in now to gauge off of for changing?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    That´s the most accurate. Depends on the size of the tub etc. - you just want to make sure the water is always clean
    +1
    Unlike
    Murk: That´s the most accurate. Depends on the size of the tub etc. - you just want to make sure the... +1