Red Wigglers-What's the Verdict?

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Nathan
So, after using up my last batch of night-crawlers, I've ended up with a cup of the infamous "red wigglers." They seem great for my animals due to the smaller size, but I am aware that some animals won't eat them to due the distasteful substance they can secrete. I've also read about people feeding them with no problems. Through further reading, I saw that maybe it isn't a good idea to feed commercial ones grown in manure? Basically, my question is, is it worth it to be feeding these or should I go back to night-crawlers?

One of my juvenile T.verrucosus managed to eat one, but I'm afraid they may be too "wiggly" for the others and I don't want to chop them for fear of them secreting and turning my newts off of worms.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know about the manure issue, but that's good thinking about not wanting to turn off the T. verr. I am just starting to hand feed mine, I wanted to wait until they all found homes. So far, only one of mine has eaten off tongs for me. I caught him when he was hunting anyway. I think that might be helpful, to try to hand feed them when they're out hunting anyway. So I'll be setting my alarm for 3 am.

My experience is that many of my animals will eat them, especially if caught on the first strike. If missed initially however many of them do seem to be terribly interested in having a second go, which seems to support the notion that they are distasteful. I rarely ever buy them because standard earthworms are usually consumed without hesitation. The last few times that I have purchased them have been from petsmart so hopefully there was no manure issue.
Chip

I tried to feed them a couple of times with the same results with various newts...They would "puke" them out shortly after eatting them making a mess in the tank. If you want to go a smaller worm route, I would recommend leaf worms found at some baitshops.

The last few times that I have purchased them have been from petsmart so hopefully there was no manure issue.

Well, that's helpful, as I got these from petsmart as well. I got some more night-crawlers this morning, as I agree with all of you that they are much more readily taken.

Thank you all for the advice!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back