References for <i>Hynobiidae</i> in captivity?

M

martinf

Dear all, I'm looking for references that deal with keeping and breeding the genus Hynobius in captivity. I'm also interested in other Hynobiidae, but primarily Hynobius. I don't keep any, but I am seriously considering it and I'd like to do my homework first.

Thanks.

H

henk

Hello Martin,

there's quite alot of literature available concerning keeping of these animals. In the older German and French literature you can stumble upon good records. I can offer a list with references

I hope that I may say that I have a good knowledge on the keeping and breeding of these salamanders. I have so far succeeded in breeding H. dunni / leechi quelpartensis/okiensis and retardatus and Hynobius are my main interest.

Currently I am writing down my epxeriences in keepin these animals in several articles. They will be published in a German and Belgian magazine + a Dutch book. I have English translations ready after they have been published and I am in fact searching for a good magazine in the USA for publication (any help there is welcome). Please feel free to contact me at henk.wallays@skynet.be

420.jpg

M

martinf

Thank you all for your help. I found the Herplit place to be very good. Henk I hope we can talk in the future.

H

henk

You can see some of my species in pictures through the Amphibiaweb.

H

henk

Well this year I hve so far succeeded in breeding with H. retardatus and achieved my first ever eggdeposition of H. leechenatus. The other species are also active but so far nothing has occured.

H

henk

Well to get back at the Hynobius breeding of 2002 : I currently have bred :
- Hynobius dunni (8 depositions ... so really too many to rear)
- Hynobius retardatus (over 80 large larvae)
- Hynobius leechii quelpartensis (3 eggsacs)
- Hynobius tokyoensis (1 fertiliese egg, which didn't went well)
- Hynobius leechenatus : the first repro of this species overhere, but the eggs were unfertilised (which is common in a first repro).

All in all not too bad.I may still get H.nebulosus to breed but even without that I am happy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    blackxreptiles: there a salamander farm in the US? +1