Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Refuges for escapees - set them up in advance!

K

kai

Well, we all know that newts really need absolutely escape-proof tanks or rather sooner than later harvoc will happen. And most of us realize that even with several tricks implemented to secure lids, seal off corners where cables run into a tank, etc. there's always room for good ol' Murphy's Law to catch us while we're on a weekend holiday...
sad.gif

So while all of us will certainly agree that really taking all measures to prevent caudates from escaping it's IMNSHO imperative for responsible captive care to also provide suitable permanent refuges so that any escapee is able to survive for a limited time and can be located more easily.

In a cool basement with higher ambient humidity, a damp towel placed on the floor (preferably partly wrapped in a sheet of plastic to reduce evaporation and direct water contact with the floor; openings on the sides positioned along a wall) will already be sufficient to attract any escapee - but only as long as it's regularly checked and rewetted if necessary! Some plastic foam may be used to increase the water supply, too.

In a living room such an option is usually not possible but larger plant pots placed on the floor can be optimized as caudate refuges as well:
1. Use a very shallow tray under the plant pot (both preferably made from clay and not waterproof) and place it on a strong sheet of thick PVC (0.5-1 mm; can be cut as to be invisible) or a suitable tile to avoid spoiling the wood/carpet/whatever with water/dampness. Make sure that all your caudates are able to climb into the tray.
2. Place it so that direct sunlight doesn't reach the pot (at least not its lower part) and no radiator (if used during winter) should be close to the plant as well. Relatively close to a wall is probably your best bet to make it easier for the newt/salamander to find it fast.
3. If the plant is sensitive to standing water, place the pot on small but sturdy "feet" so that there's some space between the pot and the tray - this also creates a "cave" where any escapee will hide. Some plastic foam will improve retention of water and humid air as well as shielding off light. Make sure that the plant is standing safely and doesn't get toppled over easily (placing some heavy stones in the bottom of the pot before planting may help).
4. Well, don't forget to water the plant and/or the tray... ;)

In an emergency case, darken the room completely, remove any heat sources (stop AC as well?) and wait for some hours - caudates are really great at spotting areas with elevated humidity and will show up in suitable refuges amazingly fast in most cases. A little misting to increase air humidity may help to get them moving but don't overdo it since we want them to get to the refuge and not stay in some dusty corner with only temporary humidity.

And, of course, don't let your cat/dog into the room either...

Good luck,
kai

A

amazon

I once had a very unfortunate situation with 49 salamanders... Which happen to be amazing at getting through very small wire... I ended up with all but 15 escaping in one night, and found them all dried up and dead around the house and in the radiator... ouch. I wish I heard about this then....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1