Rehabilitating an Axolotl

granny.izz

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello,

I’m about to begin rehabilitating an axolotl that has come from a rough environment. Warm water, skin shedding, malnourished, gravel in the tank. I’m not sure how old she is but she’s been in that environment her whole life.

I’m picking her up tomorrow and am planning on quarantining her, giving her tea baths and keeping her in cool water. I’m wanting to know if there’s anything else I should be aware of in regards with helping her heal.

Thank you for any help.

if the shedding is due to chemical burns ie.. ammonia the almond/catappa leaves will be quite soothing.
using holtreters will help with healing and make the water more comfortable.
make sure that the water is oxygenated.
being malnourished she may not accept some foods so you might need to use a variety of different foods.
be aware that axolotls don't like tea baths so she may thrash a bit.

if the shedding is due to chemical burns ie.. ammonia the almond/catappa leaves will be quite soothing.
using holtreters will help with healing and make the water more comfortable.
make sure that the water is oxygenated.
being malnourished she may not accept some foods so you might need to use a variety of different foods.
be aware that axolotls don't like tea baths so she may thrash a
I currently got her in cool water with something similar to holtfreters as well as an almond leaf. The water has proper parameters and she's now accepting food.

Is overfeeding an issue? She's very skinny but has had a big boost in her appetite. I just worry about shocking her systems.

I currently got her in cool water with something similar to holtfreters as well as an almond leaf. The water has proper parameters and she's now accepting food.

Is overfeeding an issue? She's very skinny but has had a big boost in her appetite. I just worry about shocking her systems.
once she gets to a good size just reduce feeding to every other day with the amount of food required to sustain size.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back