Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Removing sand will it crash the cycle ?

Julieroo

Reaction score
Hello
I've had my axi in an established tank for over a year now with no problems with water or parameters etc. The tank currently has very fine sand on the bottom but I would like to remove this for ease of cleaning . If I take this sand out its it likely to affect the tank (I.e. would it crash the cycle or anything).
Many thanks 😊

minorhero

Reaction score
It might and it might not. The answer is dependent on whether you have enough live bacteria in the filter and elsewhere to handle the bioload which is essentially impossible to predict. So the solution is to do it, do a big water change (as close to 100% as you can get), and then monitor the ammonia daily for a couple of weeks and if it goes up, to do big water changes as needed.

Julieroo

Reaction score
Thank you 😊 By the sounds if it, it would be easier to do a 100% water change during the course of the removal ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • 巴巴托斯:
    有大佬可以帮帮我吗?我想了解更多关于虎钝口螈的繁殖细节
    +1
    Unlike
    巴巴托斯: 有大佬可以帮帮我吗?我想了解更多关于虎钝口螈的繁殖细节 +1