Reoccurring flakes

Axolotl52

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ever since my axolotl had her first fungus infection I've noticed these constant flakes appearing on the bottom of the tank. It seems to clog up both the sponge filter and power filter. At first I thought this may have been broken down detritus but I've rinsed out both the power filter media and the sponge filter and it comes out as brown in the bucket but within a day its back filling up the bottom of the tank. Water is fully cycled ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate around 1-2 ppm(just hardly showing color on the water test), PH is 7.5. If anyone has any idea of what this could be please let me know, maybe I'm just paranoid or not rinsing the filters well enough? I've included pictures below. Only one axolotl is in the tank and any waste is immediately cleaned up as soon as its seen, doesn't seem to bother her at all. Tail and gills aren't curled and she still eats perfectly fine.

Attachments

• thumbnail_Image.jpg
    thumbnail_Image.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 149
  • download.png
    download.png
    955 KB · Views: 107
They look something I regularly get. I believe they are precipitate from hard water at it dries at the top of the tank and falls in. Do you notice a lot of white chunks on areas that have been previously wet?

I find I get less of it if I keep my water level topped off.

That was another thing that was on my mind, and i'm pretty sure you're right. I have noticed the white gunk builds up quite fast, especially on the water line, I try usually to give it a wipe with a sponge at least once a day and use the scraper for the more stuck on parts. I think the main problem was vacuuming the flakes first then moving the hides around to look for any messes to clean up which would kick up any flakes on top and then settling back to the ground an hour later, thank you for the help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back