Reoccurring fungal infections

ratsips

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a couple axolotls that keep getting fungal infections. Each time they get one, I salt bath and keep them off system until they recover. I also test the water chemistry and it has never been outside of ideal values. The system also has a chiller which keeps the water at 18ºC all the time so the water is never too warm. The system does have a bit of an algae problem but from what I understand algae isn't harmful to them. I usually have them back on system for three weeks to a month and a half before the fungal infection comes back. They don't show signs of stress like curled gills/tail and never lose their appetites. I have 9 axolotls and this is only a problem with two of them. None of the others have ever gotten an infection as long as I've had them. Is there something I might be missing when it comes to keeping fungus at bay?

For other treatments try Furan 2 or methylene blue if available in your country. Furan 2 can be used with a biological filter. Methylene blue might crash your biological filter. I find for extreme cases methylene blue can knock it out quickly.

Have you checked your GH / KH?

Johns solutions solved my issues - I had lower than ideal GH for lotls and I have no fungus anymore on my prone kids.

I have a couple axolotls that keep getting fungal infections. Each time they get one, I salt bath and keep them off system until they recover. I also test the water chemistry and it has never been outside of ideal values. The system also has a chiller which keeps the water at 18ºC all the time so the water is never too warm. The system does have a bit of an algae problem but from what I understand algae isn't harmful to them. I usually have them back on system for three weeks to a month and a half before the fungal infection comes back. They don't show signs of stress like curled gills/tail and never lose their appetites. I have 9 axolotls and this is only a problem with two of them. None of the others have ever gotten an infection as long as I've had them. Is there something I might be missing when it comes to keeping fungus at bay?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back