Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Rep

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Using sarcasm with possible hints of negativity will not drive a point to be received more readily or promote understanding....however,,,it will reflect poorly on those using those tactics. The better approach is to provide good advice and back-up the information with experiences, written articles, etc. We are trying to help others provide quality care to their animals not belittle them. Sometimes that quest can be challenging......

xxianxx

Reaction score
Using sarcasm with possible hints of negativity will not drive a point to be received more readily or promote understanding....however,,,it will reflect poorly on those using those tactics. The better approach is to provide good advice and back-up the information with experiences, written articles, etc. We are trying to help others provide quality care to their animals not belittle them. Sometimes that quest can be challenging......

Yes , I agree to a certain extent, you will how ever find that even good advice supported with evidence is often dismissed out of hand. The selective use of sarcasm can actually be used to drive a point home by pointing out the inconsistencies or down right stupidity of a persons actions, making the reconsider their position. I do how ever accept that some people may be put off from continuing a discussion which may have a detrimental impact on the treatment/care of their pet, so will be a tad more selective in its use . As for a person being automatically perceived negatively for the use of sarcasm, well, thats debatable, you will find that a single sarcastic response receives more "like" than a weeks worth of good advice. It would be nice to see your presence in the sick axolotl section for a while (it would give my sarcasm a break and allow my forehead to recover from the constant pounding on my p.c. desk) as the advice given to owners asking for help is generally the same , cover in salt and chuck it in the fridge, no matter what the problem appears to be. Also check this thread out http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ussion/84759-i-feed-my-axolotls-kangaroo.html judicious use of sarcasm.

FX1C

Reaction score
Whilst I agree with your statement some people actually need to be told bluntly "You are killing your axolotl !", even then they dont take the hint and make excuses or plainly think they are being lied to,it is very frustrating to see and the end result, unfortunately, is often sarcasm. Examples of animal abuse and neglect are rife in this forum and seem to be excused by many members when giving advise, I care more for the welfare of a mistreated animal than the feelings of a person who by lack of research, lack of care or in many cases plain stupidity has led them to seek advice, often far too late. If you can spend one week posting in the sick axolotl section of this site without banging your head on the nearest hard surface every couple of hours I would be amazed. When you try to explain to somebody that keeping their axolotl in water that has the same ammonia content of a sewer is bad, or that actually feeding the correct diet is a good thing , actually feeding them at all in a couple of threads, removing the plecostomus/goldfish/algae eater from their tank as it is a potential hazard only to be ignored and responded to in the same old way "Its all right I been doing it for the last month and theres been no problems!", is depressing to say the least. So if any body wants to ignore advice I offer, advice which is all ready available if they search the history of this site, they can feel free to ignore the sarcasm as well.

You said it Sister... I mean Brother! :D

I find your first responses are usually awesome - full of informative useful advice.... then once that seems to have been ignored... that's when I get a giggle! :)

I think tiptoeing around the gruesome fact that someone is completely FAILING the animal in question not always helpful... Often the person who is asking for advice is left thinking "oh well, I guess it's not as bad as I thought"
Whereas if a few people give them a virtual slap across the back of the head might actually wake these people up to the fact that these creatures are very special :)

I've been involved in animal rescue over many years & I've been left sickened by what some people think is 'good enough' - when it is not a condition I would leave a cockroach in :( it's very hard to be nice at those moments.

It's always hard to find a 'happy medium' with dealing with fragile people... I'd rather be harsh & fair than be so concerned how someone is feeling that I have to overlook the animal cruelty occurring. After all either way, there's no guarantee the people posting will listen or act on advice at all! It's a bit of a **** shoot!

<3 >o_o< <3

xxianxx

Reaction score
After rereading a few of the sick axolotl threads of the last week I would like to refute all of my comments about sarcasm, the forum has taken a distinctly belligerent manner recently and I apolagise if I have set the tone for this attitude. Though many of the people posting are guilty of criminal animal neglect (in the UK at least) they are still asking for help to improve the standard of life for their pet, this forum is where they turned to for help and they deserve to get nothing but appropriate advice devoid of sarcasm or brow beating (except for the ones banging on about feeding kangaroos to axolotls).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1