Request: Amphibian Declines - The Conservation Status of United States Species by Michael Lannoo

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
This is one of the books on my shopping list. As of yet, I have not purchased it.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
I managed to pick up this tome for a mere 35.00 USD used online.

If you are an caudate or anura nut-job (like me) you need to own this book. Personally I found the fifty-odd essays on various theories and explanations of amphibian population decline a bit dry. I also found it exceedingly depressing. The data is sound and well referenced. Thanks to the references in this book, I will be hunting for papers and books on amphibians for the next decade!

I feel that it only contributes to much of the controversy surrounding the causes of these population drops and extinctions.many of the essays are liberally biased even though they are based on fact. Many of the essays fail completely to identify multiple factors for more of a media shotgun approach you can almost feel the fervent, zealous, tunnel vision of the authors. Others are very well written and weigh theories and factors from an unbiased perspective with hard data to back it up. If nothing else, these inconsistencies of format only make the reader want to study and cross reference data even more.

The real gem here is the very nearly complete species descriptions of every single known/recognized species of amphibian in the United States as of the time of the writing. While I freely admit I did not read this half of the book in it's entirety, I poured over the caudata and compared it to the only other nearly complete listing I own, Petranka's monolithic book.

It amazes me how much differing opinions and varying sources can change the data presented. The caudate and anuran taxonomic argument is only furthered along here. This makes it very confusing at times for a layman such as myself.

The species information is exactly what you would expect from a college level textbook like this one encompassing so many species. Short, sweet and basic. Habitat. preferred weather, basic breeding, incubation periods and the like are all there in a slightly stunted form.

To sum this book up: If you can find it for a nice low price, this is a must have title for any serious amphibian fanatic. I will state again, the essay section is a tough read for those of us with out a background in academia but it is still accessible and informative. For you academics, it is a dry read, but there is a good many gems of thought and logic about our favorite topic throughout the pages.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
Professor Lannoo is following this book up next year with a new book titled something like "Atlas of the Amphibians of the United States and Canada". I was lucky enough to have some of my photos accepted for it so I look forward to posting my review of the copy that's coming my way ;).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • blubford:
    so that dumb salamander state to state import bill didnt pass i take it right
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    havent heard news about it in a good while
    +1
    Unlike
  • wnorman293:
    Hi, how do you delete a post?
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you dont
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    just kidding but i think there should be an option for it on your profile mabye
    +1
    Unlike
  • ipsoslolly:
    Hi guys my axolotl has not used his back legs since late Tuesday night,is this normal . He back half keeps floating up the way
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    that doesnt sound good
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Is it normal for my axie to eat every day? He’s overly hungry 😛
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dr. Phil:
    I'm new here but do I detect a bit of sarcasm in these comments? Ya'll sound like a fine bunch to me!
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    oh yes we’re all very sarcastic
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jokerjay:
    My son and I have been looking for a water dog/tiger salamander for quite some time now with no luck has anybody know how or where to find any
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jokerjay:
    @axolotl nerd, where can I find waterdogs or tiger salamanders my son has wanted one for a long time and I've been searching high and low with no luck
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    @Jokerjay, its a good idea to tell people where you are from. This is an international group. I have eastern tigers, im in the uk.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    @Jokerjay, as in water dogs do you mean axolotls? i suggest very heavy research and a fully cycled tank before even considering purchasing one
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Axolotls are amazing until they get sick and then they’re a pain in the backside to treat - I recently lost two axolotls due to unknown causes
    +1
    Unlike
  • KonaGoldAquatics:
    Anyone from the us? Looking for at least one or two axolotls for me and my son to have our own at-home project together.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    i highly recommend “buyanaxolotl.com”- ive purchased from them and received a beautiful animal for relatively cheap, in great condition, and excellent shipping precautions. the breeders are a couple living in georgia (i believe, don’t quite remember) and they’re fantastic. sometimes their website contact page doesn’t work, so i’d probably try just emailing them. good luck and happy hunting!
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    do those aquarium fans work well for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sheryl Fraser:
    My little guy got stuck in the filter yesterday. His back leg is red. Will this heal
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Z-One has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • KonaGoldAquatics:
    Any recommendations on a water chiller for a 10gallon but will work for a 20gal when I decide to upgrade?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tinc Tank:
    Anybody working with and breeding Salamandra salamandra salamandra?
    +2
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    heh
    +1
    Unlike
  • Alexmcc:
    Hi all I'm new here I'm just looking some advise on cycle witch is currently driving me insane . So we are week 8 I'm dosing daily with 4pp of amonia and for the last week has been dropping to zero witch I no is good. But my question is my nitrites are sitting at between 0.50 and 1.0 PM and nitrates are between 10 and 20 and neither of these seem to be dropping. I have done 2 40% water changes a few days ago and no change the only thing I can think of is I didnt use the seachem stability stuff which I have now ordered but surely that shouldn't have much difference this far into cycling
    +1
    Unlike
  • ytz13513:
    Dropping ammonia with rising nitrate and nitrite is good. It means the nitrifying bacteria is working. You just have to remove the nitrate from the water doing water changes. The level of nitrates is high and the nitrate is also high. The nitrite will be converted to nitrate using the beneficial bacteria and you can add them using quick start or allowing them to naturally grow in the tank. The latter option will take longer. The nitrate can be used by plants, so live plants can decrease the levels, but I would do a water change to get the nitrate at a level that is lower than 5 ppm. 5ppm of nitrate is natural and a good place.
    +1
    Unlike
    ytz13513: Dropping ammonia with rising nitrate and nitrite is good. It means the nitrifying bacteria is... +1