Rescue axolotl, need some advice on care

faebugz

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Okay so to start I know my axolotl is probably not in the best shape.

I got him(her?) in kind of a rescue situation a couple weeks ago.

Basically, a good friend of mine died, and I ended up with some of his fish. He had a tank that was I think somewhere between 50-70g that was waaay overstocked, like I'm talking 10+ goldfish, 3 plecos, a handful of other things, and an axolotl. The thing was always a bit gross, whenever I came over I would clean it for him and so would other friends, but even with 3 filters going... yea. Also, while he always threw too much food in, I'm not sure what the axolotl actually got to eat. I only ever saw goldfish flakes and some sinking pellets, but who knows what actually got to the axolotl.

You'd think there's no way an axolotl could survive that, right? But she was in that tank for about a year and a half, and somehow survived. He came from the LFS and I've seen the axolotl tank, it's alright but not the best. I'm not sure how old he is. (Also, just wanna say there was no ill-intentions from my late friend! He loved his fish dearly, but he was getting old and stuck in his ways/tired).

Anyways, to the point now: I think she has some mobility issues, but I'm not familiar enough with axolotls to tell. It seems as though she can't use her legs very well. They don't really touch the sand when he's standing there or walking, and he also doesn't walk much or quickly when he does. He just kind of... spasms at his food, if that makes sense. I've also noticed when she eats, he kinda does some flips and often ends up upside-down while she gulps his worm back. Okay, I typed that out and then went to go feed her so I could get a video and I'm happy to say she is actually using her legs almost normally!! She still seems to be having trouble putting her whole foot down, but all in all it's a massive improvement from even yesterday so I think there's a good chance this will heal. I'm thinking what caused it was probably the fact that she spent most of her life either trapped in one of the hides, barely moving, or fighting the strong current from 3 filters. She definitely still spasms at her food, though; here's the video I took:

I'm worried her growth is pretty stunted as well. Aren't they supposed to be full size in a year? She's clocking in at about 5 inches. Will she recover from that?

She was really skinny when I got her. I've been feeding her one worm a day, from my garden (organic). I try to get nightcrawlers but I end up with regular ol' earthworms too. Am I feeding her enough? I figure I'm making up for lost time, but I don't want to overfeed either.

I also noticed what looks like white bits/flakes on her gills, just a couple. Is that normal discoloration or something of that nature, or should I be worried about fungus? I couldn't get a clear picture, my phone camera is garbage! But here is that plus some photos of the tank:

IMG_20200430_062304010.jpg

IMG_20200430_062317599.jpg

IMG_20200430_062819764.jpg

So, as you can see, she's doing okay, but her "tank" is not the best. She pretty much spends most of her time in the log hide to the left, but sometimes I see her out. Is there anything I should change? I'm planning on getting her a 10g as soon as I can, but my living space is not the best atm and I'm moving soon. (I know 20 is recommended but I'm not sure if/when she will grow). I only put the light on it for the picture, usually she's in a corner that doesn't get too much light or sunlight, unless the door is open but even then it's minimal. The substrate is straight sand. I would add live plants but I don't think it gets enough light. The filter is probably more than enough but I'm not sure what it's rated for (but it's only a 3.5g tank right now anyways). There's hardly any current with the things I set in front of the outflow. The temperature honestly fluctuates a little overnight if we have a fire going, but I've taken readings periodic readings and it's not much (62-65, if it goes to 66 I do a 15% water change to bring it down to 64-65 and let the fire go out). It has a cover on it usually (not the actual lid just a clear duo-tang).

She seems to be coming out of her shell more, and I might be anthromorphizing but I think she might like me and recognize I'm gonna try my best to take good care of her!

If I can get the video I took of her eating formatted I'll post that too.

Thanks in advance to anyone who's able to drop by and offer any advice :)

I would recommend changing the hang-on-back filter for a sponge filter (if possible) size axolotls do not like agitated water. As for overfeeding, its kinda hard to do. Axolotls are pretty good at stopping when they are full.

She looks like she's doing pretty well. I agree with Mother of Dragons and would also recommend a sponge filter. You mentioned that she's a year and a half old but still only 5 inches, which sounds to me like she may be stunted and probably won't grow much more. It's a little hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the flecks on her gills are just markings or iridiophores. Keep up the good work!

I would recommend changing the hang-on-back filter for a sponge filter (if possible) size axolotls do not like agitated water. As for overfeeding, its kinda hard to do. Axolotls are pretty good at stopping when they are full.

I don't think the current is bothering her, in the last few days I've seen her randomly come out and clumsy walk around (still has stiff legs, I guess). To baffle the filter, I put a bunch of fake plants in the outflow and then some more right in front of where it hits the water. But I could be wrong, I'll definitely look into sponge filters!
I started feeding her a little more (bigger worms or multiple small ones) and she puked up one at some point yesterday! I found it in her log this morning 🤢 I think she was so starved before that she overate, I'll have to take it easy. Poor thing. Her stomach has gone from hourglass figure to full chunk, I'm glad

She looks like she's doing pretty well. I agree with Mother of Dragons and would also recommend a sponge filter. You mentioned that she's a year and a half old but still only 5 inches, which sounds to me like she may be stunted and probably won't grow much more. It's a little hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the flecks on her gills are just markings or iridiophores. Keep up the good work!

Thank you very much! Do you know what size tank would be good for her then, assuming she doesn't grow much bigger? She's currently in a sturdy plastic "shoebox" type thing, which I'd rather not be long term... But 20g definitely seems overkill

Thank you very much! Do you know what size tank would be good for her then, assuming she doesn't grow much bigger? She's currently in a sturdy plastic "shoebox" type thing, which I'd rather not be long term... But 20g definitely seems overkill
A 15g would probably be a good fit. I feel like a 10g might be a little on the small side.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back