Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Rescue boy

KitCat

Reaction score
Hi!

So I’m a new axolotl parent (I used to take care of a few at school in our herpetology lab but this is my first personal one), and my boy Moony is a rescue from a friend who had too many in a small space. He was in a tank with a few other axies as well as fish 👀🤦🏻‍♀️ And was being picked on a lot. His gills are growing back, but is there anything I can/should do to help? He is currently being tubbed while my tank finishes cycling (fish-less with a seeded filter).

Also any things your axies love? I want to spoil him as much as possible! I’ve got a hammock, some fake plants, and a hide, but am on the hunt for a better looking hide and anything else he may enjoy having in his new home :)

Pics of him attached <3

Attachments

• 9251B636-4FA2-44BF-A4CA-5D8796EA4542.jpeg
    9251B636-4FA2-44BF-A4CA-5D8796EA4542.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 144
  • 5598E53F-B479-41BC-B7D4-2C671E38CEC8.jpeg
    5598E53F-B479-41BC-B7D4-2C671E38CEC8.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 108

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Hi!

So I’m a new axolotl parent (I used to take care of a few at school in our herpetology lab but this is my first personal one), and my boy Moony is a rescue from a friend who had too many in a small space. He was in a tank with a few other axies as well as fish 👀🤦🏻‍♀️ And was being picked on a lot. His gills are growing back, but is there anything I can/should do to help? He is currently being tubbed while my tank finishes cycling (fish-less with a seeded filter).

Also any things your axies love? I want to spoil him as much as possible! I’ve got a hammock, some fake plants, and a hide, but am on the hunt for a better looking hide and anything else he may enjoy having in his new home :)

Pics of him attached <3
Your doing great!! Thank you for rescuing him! As long ur running him with Seachem prime your doing good!! My axolotl has a weird obsession with glass jars, she loves them. She’s growing steadily and is at 8 inches now, so she has to cram herself into it until I get her a bigger one. Again, thank you for rescuing him!

AnimeDan

Reaction score
Your doing great! Iv found my Axies love to climb on things and will often hold onto the little holes in the divider that divides the tank in half (had to separate them after one bit the hand off the other), and my Axolotl Princess sometimes scales tube for the bubbler that leads up and out of the tank. In terms of helping Moony recover Id say just make sure you keep him happy and healthy in cool clean water and make sure he’s eating plenty of high nutrient food. Red wigglers, high quality pellets, and/or Repashy grub pie are what I feed mine.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Water quality is your biggest thing you can do for your axolotl.

I am a huge advocate of Johns Solution the results I have had with all the surrenders and rescue and how it has helped my breeding crew. I live where we already have hard water GH is 11. But adding the Johns Solution balanced everything just the way the Axolotls love it.

Many love bubble walls and disks, perching in plants (real or fake), Repti hammocks, and lots of quality foods and treats.

debadog

Reaction score
They love things that they can sit on at higher levels than the tank floor. This can be plants or ornaments, but I've also found that they enjoy having a reptile hammock in their tank. You can find them on Amazon, like this one here. Also means they have a bit more tank to explore!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1