Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

"Rescued" Lotl

Kristen0888

Reaction score
This is my little man, Abner, after the pig from Hey Arnold!. I got him from someone that was not able to give him the care he needs. I'm not exactly sure how old he is, but I can sex him. His gills are slowly starting to grow back and I am super happy with how much better he looks! He is also growing wonderfully! :D

The first picture is after the first week, after filling his tummy twice a day with blood worms and live black worms. The other pictures are from today's tank clean out. He is in a 10G tank, without a filter,I give him 100% water changes each day. His filter is collecting lots of bacteria in my goldfish tank. He will have a home in a 40G breeder in couple of weeks, after I move. :)

Attachments

• abner.jpg
    abner.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 244
  • abner1.jpg
    abner1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 233
  • abner2.jpg
    abner2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 228

MiseryInc

Reaction score
Oh wow! He's a cute fella! My Axie looks EXACTLY the same! I had to double check my tank to make sure you didn't steal her! ;)

You've done a great job so far! Does the 100% water change work to effect? How do you do it if you don't mind me asking? Siphon or a bucket and what not? :)

MiseryInc

Reaction score
Just to add; my Axie is called Whooper and she looks exactly the same (size wise as well) so I would guess that yours is the same age as mine? Whooper is approx. 4-6 months old :)

Kristen0888

Reaction score
Thank you! :D I think is is safe to say he is about that age!

I take my little man and his ghost shrimp friend out (he had 2, but he munched on the other one. For some reason he won't eat this one. lol). Then use a small bucket to get a few gallons out then carry the whole tank in the bathroom and rinse or scrub everything. I scrub every other day.

I'm not sure if it works better than having a filter, but he seems to be happy with it. :) He came from a tank with a huge current and pretty dark yellow water, so it is a great change for him! :D

Ps. I promise I didn't steal your little one!...yet. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!