Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Resuscitation of newt

evut

Reaction score
This is a strange question - did something happen with one of your animals? I think that unless you're a vet you wouldn't be able to establish whether a newt is dead or not so easily.

Helder Duarte

Reaction score
Well i'm raising my l. Boscai larvaes anda I already have 2 morphed, but one of them dont eat nothing so i put some bloodworms in the water tank and i put him inside to see if he would eat something(i have a island and a lot of plants floating in the surface). i went to take a bath and when i went to see my juvenile i found him in the bot of the aquarium, upside down and the body was like stone or plastic, he just died i touch him sometimes to see if he would react, and then i took him out of the water and let him dry and he never did a movement .... this is a newt dead right?

evut

Reaction score
Yes, that sounds like a dead newt. Once a larva morphs, it can take up to a week before it starts eating again. When it morphs, it loses gills and the ability to breathe in water. So it can drown easily. If you put it in water after that, you can kill it. A morphed animal should be moved into a terrestrial enclosure, with some hides, appropriate moisture level, food should be offered daily (just leave it somewhere the newt will find it, don't follow it or stick it in its face) and the animal should be left alone. Metamorphosis is a very difficult time for a tiny newt and it needs to be offered the best conditions and peace to go through it. Please read all the relevant articles here.

Helder Duarte

Reaction score
yes i moved them to a terrestrial but after 2weeks i put him in the water to see if he would eat there but he died...
before i went to sleep, 4hours later of the dead i tried to see if he was alive or not but again no signs of life so i put him in my spider tank(a litle one, she have 3cm) i moved him so she would attack and eat later, she attacked him and bitted him, i didnt liked it but at least i would put him in the trash or whatever... when i wake up i went to see if he dissapeared but I find him out lf the spider net and i was confused how could she move him since he is biggee then her, i went to take my breakfast and when I came back he wasnt in the same place and i stopped for 10min looking and he moved, he was alive and after a few hours he was completely normal and now he is eating and moving more than before...

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I am sure I read about an apparent dead newt come back to life before on here .... though minus the spider bite. If I have any newts appear to be dead I have always placed them in a container with moist paper and placed in a cool cupboard. Twice a lifeless stiff little body has come back to life :) I am a little paranoid about accidentally disposing of a live animal.

Helder Duarte

Reaction score
well that is why i posted... i dont know if the spider bite influenced or not, or if it's some kind of property of this species. since sometimes in nature they lay eggs in temporary lakes they can develop some kind of method to survive when they morp and cant leave the water so they could survive till the water dissapear but that most be unlikely to be true since they would be easy prey amd it would be more easy for them to turn aquatic instead of simulating dead...

velasco13000

Reaction score
Or maybe ....that spider poison is the key to resurrecting the dead!!!! What kind of spider was it??

Helder Duarte

Reaction score
Well it's a normal spider i think, I will try to post a photo of her. But that is why i asked because i saw her bitting him and she holded him for a minutes, so she sended her poison to the newt and hours later he was alive again...

Helder Duarte

Reaction score
This is the spider.
helder-duarte-albums-my-animals-picture33988-savior-spider.jpg

And this are my two morp l.boscai, the darkest one is the miraculous newt :)
helder-duarte-albums-my-animals-picture33991-img-20140615-004410.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1