Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

RETF EGGS!

P

paris

i was very disappointed at IAD that no one but sandfire carried RETF's, i went there looking to get a female for my randy calling males. the ones that were there were smaller than 1/2" and so wouldnt help me much....I told Ken from IAD i was disappointed and he brought me an adult he had spare the next day. its plump but not as big as i would expect for a female. he wasnt sure of the gender but said it had never called. the day i got it home one male got it into amplexus, i thought it may just be a really randy male and the new one was tired of fighting it off. when i tried to get photos they broke apart when i opened the lid-this was back on may 9th.
i have been hearing a bit more calling lately but i thought it was due to open windows and high day temps with low night temps....but when i woke up this AM i saw this
65952.jpg

65953.jpg

65954.jpg

right now there are 2 egg masses, the one pictured and a small one in the back also on the glass. they look as if there is more to come.

F

francesco

congratulations paris!
do you think being without females for a while might have helped getting them friskier?

P

paris

i was always told that you have to have a high male ratio-it seems calling and fighting over a female keeps them both 'happy' and seems to stimulate them

M

mark

In nature there always seems to be more male than female anurans. One of the few exceptions would be Dendrobatids. I usually do a 3-1 ratio of males to females when I breed RETFs that way the most dominate male breeds with the female and in theory stronger froglets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!