Revamp-100 gallon glass aquarium tank to a terrestrial habitat

sallie2010

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have several questions as to go about converting a 100 glass aquarium that is (wxlxh) 18"x60"x24". The tank has 2 nine inche plates of class in the middle to support 2 lids. My fish have recently died and would like to convert it into a terrarium to house the anole, salamanders, and any future amphibians I acquire.

The tank is located in the basement that gets to low temperatures of 65 F but not any cooler. I would like to be able to dismantle 9 inche plates to refit in the tank below to create a small aquatic area.

I have looked at other tanks that are very elaborate and would like to create as much terrestrial, aquatic, and arboreal space as possible. Please direct me to any good sites etc that will allow me to create a second habitat for my animals that live at my school and must vacation at my house.:happy: I am basically tired of moving my 40 gallon terrarium tank to and fro each winter and summer.:(

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Why do you need to remove the 9" glass plates? If I'm understanding your description, these 9" plates go horizontally across the top in the center of the tank? If so, these are part of the structural support for the tank itself and it would be inadvisable to remove them.

The challenge with any land/water tank is how to separate (or not separate) the land and water areas. There are various ways of doing it.

Be careful about what species you try to house together. With a tank this large, there are some species mixes that might work, but be sure to put some thought into possible conflicts or differing needs.

sallie2010

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the warning! I found a good site where it showed step by step how to make a land/water tank. My thoughts is to have inhabitants for all three micro-environments in order to maintain a sustained micro-system. Currently I have an anole (I adopted from an elementary school) and a grey tree frog (adopted from a HS), and some salamanders that were purchased from a scientific supply company. They have lived in harmony for over a year now. The lizard and frog tolerate each other, even sitting next to each other during cooler days.
:eek:

freves

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Foster Reves
You certainly have room to experiment with mixing some species in a tank that size however I would not advise mixing salamanders with anoles. Even though representatives of both species may be found in the same general regions in the wild they have totally different habitat preferences. Just my two cents..
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ax0lot:
    Hey does anyone know why my axolotls mouth is stuck open? Been like that for a few weeks and when I tested water everything was fine
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you should probably take it to the vet
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    so that dumb salamander state to state import bill didnt pass i take it right
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    havent heard news about it in a good while
    +1
    Unlike
  • wnorman293:
    Hi, how do you delete a post?
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you dont
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    just kidding but i think there should be an option for it on your profile mabye
    +1
    Unlike
  • ipsoslolly:
    Hi guys my axolotl has not used his back legs since late Tuesday night,is this normal . He back half keeps floating up the way
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    that doesnt sound good
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Is it normal for my axie to eat every day? He’s overly hungry 😛
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dr. Phil:
    I'm new here but do I detect a bit of sarcasm in these comments? Ya'll sound like a fine bunch to me!
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    oh yes we’re all very sarcastic
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jokerjay:
    My son and I have been looking for a water dog/tiger salamander for quite some time now with no luck has anybody know how or where to find any
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jokerjay:
    @axolotl nerd, where can I find waterdogs or tiger salamanders my son has wanted one for a long time and I've been searching high and low with no luck
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    @Jokerjay, its a good idea to tell people where you are from. This is an international group. I have eastern tigers, im in the uk.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    @Jokerjay, as in water dogs do you mean axolotls? i suggest very heavy research and a fully cycled tank before even considering purchasing one
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Axolotls are amazing until they get sick and then they’re a pain in the backside to treat - I recently lost two axolotls due to unknown causes
    +1
    Unlike
  • KonaGoldAquatics:
    Anyone from the us? Looking for at least one or two axolotls for me and my son to have our own at-home project together.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    i highly recommend “buyanaxolotl.com”- ive purchased from them and received a beautiful animal for relatively cheap, in great condition, and excellent shipping precautions. the breeders are a couple living in georgia (i believe, don’t quite remember) and they’re fantastic. sometimes their website contact page doesn’t work, so i’d probably try just emailing them. good luck and happy hunting!
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    do those aquarium fans work well for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sheryl Fraser:
    My little guy got stuck in the filter yesterday. His back leg is red. Will this heal
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Z-One has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • KonaGoldAquatics:
    Any recommendations on a water chiller for a 10gallon but will work for a 20gal when I decide to upgrade?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tinc Tank:
    Anybody working with and breeding Salamandra salamandra salamandra?
    +2
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    heh
    +1
    Unlike
    blubford: heh +1