RIP C. Orientalis

Anthony370

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sometime last night, my newt managed to climb up a leaf, through a small hole in the cover, and out the tank. I found him dried up on the floor.

I've screen covered all the holes now, and I'm headed to the same place I got the last one.

RIP newt...

It's an awful feeling when a newt manages to escape, much worse than a loss from an illness because it's 100% preventable! One of my juvenile Japanese fire bellies managed to escape while the lid was open at feeding time so i know how you feel.
As regards buying another new it might be a good idea to go over your setup before you get any more. Compared to other exotic pet keepers we are very lucky because it's easy to provide an environment where we can observe our newts behaving exactly as they would in the wild, something that's impossible for owners of Iguanas, tortoises and snakes etc. All H. orientalis need is a 10 gallon tank that' stuffed full of live plants with a small land area where they can haul out and rest if they want. If you keep their water clean and offer them a properly balanced diet they will thrive.
I would also advise you to try and find captive bred newts instead of getting them from a pet store, pet store newts will be caught from the wild in China and kept in awful conditions for weeks or months until they finally end up in a pet store literally half dead. Captive bred animals are acclimatized to captivity and make great pets that will live for many years if their basic needs are met.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back