Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Rocks

C

claire

i was just wondering...in my tank i only have large rocks...not gravel so has the tank got the bacteria that is needed or not because i siphon all the dirt out once a week, not removing the rocks though, well one week i did when gretchen had all them eggs cause for some reason the water went cloudy.

also just to make sure...is it ok for me to take out 2 jugs of water and replace it every day or every other day then do the normal water change i.e siphoning all the muck out once a week or is that a bit too excessive?

L

leah

I "divide" my tank up into quarters and vacuum one section a week, that way the whole tank gets cleaned by the end of the month. I'm not sure what effect cleaning all of the substrate weekly would have on the biological filter, but unless you have a very small, overstocked tank, I don't think that much cleaning is necessary. Why the 2 jugs a day?

J

jarred

I too had large rocks like you Claire. However someone told me, not on this site, that they wouldn't be able to support the bacteria colony, so I changed to sand. I am not sure if that is right but it is better to be safe than sorry.

C

claire

Leah - the jugs daily are to keep the water aerated because my axies seemed to go up to the surface a lot.now that i do this they dont seem to do it much or at all. i might do what you do and split it into quarters and clean one of them a week.well my tank is 24"x 12 or 14" and the height of the water is about 8-9" high.so it is quite a small tank (but apparantly big enough for them) for the 2 of my axies which are about 8" in length.
im planning on getting a new tank when i get some money coming in.lol.coz i havent got a job yet.

Jarred- when i siphon every week i dont move the rocks around i just get the muck from around them.but this probably still wont hold the bacteria needed i might change to sand aswell...i had already been thinking about it but as with buying a new tank its more money that i havent got.

what type of sand should i get when i get it in the future? and does anyone know prices in england?

J

jarred

I would go with aquarium sand. You never know what muck is in anything else. Even aquarium sand can be dirty! It cost me, I'm in Australia, about $8 for a 2kg bag I think.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!