Rotting leg

H

hailz

hey guys, my axie's leg is rotting away after being attacked by my other axie. she is in a different tank and im not sure what to now, all other wounds she has have healed, but her leg has...pretty much rotted away, do i just let it go till drops of? should i give her salt baths? its only her leg, the rest of her is healthy. any advice or help would be appreciated, thanks

By rotting, do you mean just that the skin around the wound has fallen away/off? If so, that would be normal. Does the wound look otherwise clean?

mmm the skin did start to peel of just after it happened, but since that i found one of her toes that had fallen off and her leg seems to be shrivelling up...its really hard to see it properly because she is white and so is the tub she is in...it doesnt look unclean, but it doesnt look very nice. it doesnt seem to be causeing any pain or anything but i dont think she can move it anymore, it just kinda hangs there.

Hailz - If she isn't in the fridge I would move her there, and either do a few salt baths or add couple of drops of mercurochrome to her water for a few days to try and keep infection out of the wound.

from axolotl.org

Mercurochrome is an antiseptic/disinfectant available at pharmacies and can be quite effective when treating bacterial and fungal problems. The Indiana University Axolotl Colony recommends adding just a few drops to tint the water orange, and change the water frequently. 2-4 ppm (parts per million, i.e. 2 to 4 grams per 1000 litres of water) is the dosage recommended by Peter W. Scott.
}

ok, will do. Thanks
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back