Roundworms in Axolotl?

WaterLily05

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
WaterLily05
Hello, I am new here. I have an axolotl and also keep a tropical community fish tank. I used filter media from my well established 55 gallon tank to start the cycle on my axolotls 20 gallon long tank, but I just found out (through a fish forum I am on) that some of the fish in my 55 gallon tank have roundworms. Could the roundworms (they also said they could be threadworms) have spread to my axolotls tank with the filter media? Can axolotls get roundworms? Are roundworms harmful? I was told to treat roundworms with Flubendazole, or a medication that has Flubendazole as its main active ingredient, so I searched around and came across this -

I am not experienced and am wondering if anyone can tell me if this a good medication to use (I know axolotls can be very sensitive) or help me figure out a different plan of action? Any help and info is greatly appreciated! I did a few google searches on treating or deworming axolotls but had a hard time finding the info I needed.

Can axolotls even get round worms? If it makes any difference to treatment, the tank is fully cycled, half filled 20 gallon long. The axolotl is 3 and a half inches. GH is 7 or 8

Their are some nematodes that are parasitic and some nematodes that feed on waste and excess food. Just because their are nematodes in your axolotl tank doesn't mean they have parasites.

Their are some nematodes that are parasitic and some nematodes that feed on waste and excess food. Just because their are nematodes in your axolotl tank doesn't mean they have parasites.
Thanks for the reply! There were some parasitic worms identified in my fish aquarium where I have tropical fish. I used filter media from that tank with parasitic worms to start the cycle on my axolotls tank. Is it likely that they were spread through the filter media? How would I treat it if they did spread?

Edit: I didn’t know that there were worms until I already had my axolotl

I have heard of using Fenbendazole as a safe roundworm treatment in axolotls. Does anyone know if I can use the goat brand (SafeGuard, it is a liquid) as opposed to the commonly recommended Panacur? I have some on hand from deworming my rabbits, but if that doesn’t work I can get Panacur. Is it just the dog kind that comes in the powder? I think I have some of that too.

How can you be certain your axolotl has parasitic worms and they are not incidental worms that show up in the tank? I wouldn't try deworming it unless I was positive it has parasitic worms and their aren't just deitrus worms in the tank. If not administered properly fenbendazole can harm the axolotl.

How can you be certain your axolotl has parasitic worms and they are not incidental worms that show up in the tank? I wouldn't try deworming it unless I was positive it has parasitic worms and their aren't just deitrus worms in the tank. If not administered properly fenbendazole can harm the axolotl.
That is why I am asking for help. I know for a fact that the filter media came from a tank with parasitic roundworms. I was told that this very very likely spread the parasitic roundworms to my axolotl. I was also told the worms were very hard to see. What are your thoughts? How would I know the axolotl has the worms?

It would be difficult to tell if the axolotl has round worms or not. If the axolotls health doesn't decline I'd hesitate to medicate. If you use to much fenbendazole it could harm the axolotl.

It would be difficult to tell if the axolotl has round worms or not. If the axolotls health doesn't decline I'd hesitate to medicate. If you use to much fenbendazole it could harm the axolotl.
Ok, thank you

I think yes, the filter may have contaminated the water in your new aquarium. If you haven't yet launched a new fish, I suggest draining the water and cleaning the aquarium with a unique water conditioner against parasites. If you have already started the fish, clean the water with Fenbendazole, applied in long baths. It can be ordered online Home | Fenben Lab. You can do the same treatment in the first tank if you think it might be a problem. In general, I'd advise you not to start any fish in a new tank until you have checked it for parasites.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back