S. S. bernardezi fertility

fabri

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Does somebody knows for How any years this species maintain its fertility? Do you think that an eight years old female could mate and reproduce for many years?

schmiggle

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fairly uneducated guess...But I would think that, given that the species can live 30+ years, an eight year old female could continue to reproduce for at least a decade, and probably far longer.

Blackbun

Reaction score
Country
England
Totally agree with schmiggle, I'd say way in excess of ten years too. Most wild animals probably never get to that age whilst CB could have issues eg overweight or some dietary deficiency affecting the reproductive ability. Also consider all the environmental issues such as temperature cycles (daily and yearly) which might temporarily impact on breeding/fecundity.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    Dustinaguilar has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • ChloeAnna:
    So, what sex do we think my lil Mew is?
    +1
    Unlike
  • ChloeAnna:
    I have no idea what I’m doing 🤦🏼‍♀️ I don’t know how to work this website 😅 sorry, ignore the last message 🤦🏼‍♀️
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    man
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    i really want marbled newts but lately the expos have been cancled last minute because of dumb covid stuff
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ax0lot:
    Hey does anyone know why my axolotls mouth is stuck open? Been like that for a few weeks and when I tested water everything was fine
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you should probably take it to the vet
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    so that dumb salamander state to state import bill didnt pass i take it right
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    havent heard news about it in a good while
    +1
    Unlike
  • wnorman293:
    Hi, how do you delete a post?
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you dont
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    just kidding but i think there should be an option for it on your profile mabye
    +1
    Unlike
  • ipsoslolly:
    Hi guys my axolotl has not used his back legs since late Tuesday night,is this normal . He back half keeps floating up the way
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    that doesnt sound good
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Is it normal for my axie to eat every day? He’s overly hungry 😛
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dr. Phil:
    I'm new here but do I detect a bit of sarcasm in these comments? Ya'll sound like a fine bunch to me!
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    oh yes we’re all very sarcastic
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jokerjay:
    My son and I have been looking for a water dog/tiger salamander for quite some time now with no luck has anybody know how or where to find any
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jokerjay:
    @axolotl nerd, where can I find waterdogs or tiger salamanders my son has wanted one for a long time and I've been searching high and low with no luck
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    @Jokerjay, its a good idea to tell people where you are from. This is an international group. I have eastern tigers, im in the uk.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    @Jokerjay, as in water dogs do you mean axolotls? i suggest very heavy research and a fully cycled tank before even considering purchasing one
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Axolotls are amazing until they get sick and then they’re a pain in the backside to treat - I recently lost two axolotls due to unknown causes
    +1
    Unlike
  • KonaGoldAquatics:
    Anyone from the us? Looking for at least one or two axolotls for me and my son to have our own at-home project together.
    +1
    Unlike
    KonaGoldAquatics: Anyone from the us? Looking for at least one or two axolotls for me and my son to have our own... +1