Salamander Identification

da24tis

Reaction score
Country
United States
I need help identifying this salamander? I believe it’s a wild salamander from the Northwest. The salamander came out of a Christmas tree we bought locally here in Alaska. The tree came from a tree farm in Oregon! Don’t know how it survived it’s long journey, but I currently have it in a large vented container and can’t release this back into the wild of Alaska.

Sorry, here’s the image

Attachments

• EC2C4CE4-07BA-48EE-84D4-65DE1BC7B47C.jpg
    EC2C4CE4-07BA-48EE-84D4-65DE1BC7B47C.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 269
I could be wrong but it looks like a northwestern salamander (Ambystoma gracile) to me. Either way it looks like some kind of mole salamander which are lungless salamanders that like to burrow themselves in moist soil and leaf litter, I would recommend filling a plastic tub with clean dirt (no fertilizers or chemicals) with also something for him to hide under.

You aren’t the first one to find a sal in a Christmas tree! This same species turned up in one last year too. I have no idea how.

It is indeed a Northwestern Salamander. They can be kept the same way as Tiger Salamanders. Here’s a care sheet for those Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander

Aesyir, mole Salamanders aren’t lungless salamanders ;)

Also, yours looks like a juvenile. It will grow to anywhwere from 6-8 inches. This species is a bit shy in captivity at first, but ease up over time.

Good luck with him!
-Seth

Thanks for the help. Will be heading to the pet store to buy the salamander a new home and food. Thanks again.

oh after a quick google turns out lungless salamanders is another name for ones in the Plethodontidae family, the more you know :) (sorry about giving out false info oopsie)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back