Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamander substrate

Aron1234

Reaction score
What's a good substrate safe for sals that is good to grow pothos maybe a fern

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's Jen, she can breed and keep just about any sal but a fern? Not quite sure what it takes to keep a plant alive. Good dirt maybe? Dunno. LOL

Blackbun

Reaction score
Hello Cage, I love ferns. They are such a diverse group requiring equally diverse conditions. Some species will grow in water retentive, peaty soil whilst others can grow in the cracks in dry stone walls. Some prefer dappled shade ( this doesn't mean poor light quality) whilst others can be subjected to harsh midday sunshine. The question I must ask, is your salamander enclosure inside or out?

Aron1234

Reaction score
Hello Cage, I love ferns. They are such a diverse group requiring equally diverse conditions. Some species will grow in water retentive, peaty soil whilst others can grow in the cracks in dry stone walls. Some prefer dappled shade ( this doesn't mean poor light quality) whilst others can be subjected to harsh midday sunshine. The question I must ask, is your salamander enclosure inside or out?
It is inside next to a window

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!