Salamanderin' in WV...late September

matamander

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's a few weeks old, but this was my last herping trip of the year from late September. The weather was getting a bit cool at night and was in the low 70's during the day...about 2500' in elevation.
1. First was the Cheat Mountain Salamander (Plethodon nettingi). Found about four more of these guys, higher elevation than 2500' in a spuce habitat and all were under rocks. My boss begs to differ on the ID this one, but venter was black and costal groove count was 16/17...any opinion on this one?
2. A juvie. Northern Slimy Salamander (Plethodon glutinosus) from under a log
3. Jefferson Salamander (Ambystoma jeffersonianum) from under a dry log...a few months early as they don't come out around these parts until late Feb/early March
4. Four-toed Salamander (Hemidactylium scutatum) from under a lichen covered log. Was found belly up with it's bright white and black speckled belly
5. Cow Knob Salamander (Plethodon punctatus) one of two found. My dad found this one under a rock and thought it was a Slimy, but I thought there was a good chance of being a Cow Knob due to it's location.
6. Cow Know Salamander (Plethodon punctatus) vs a Northern Slimy Salamander (Plethodon glutinosus) found a few rocks away. Notice the minute differences.
7. A very bright red red-eft, Eastern Red-Spotted Newt (Notophthalmus viridescens viridescens) found under a log

A pretty good short trip!

Attachments

evut

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Display Name
Eva
Wonderful animals, thank you for posting. I especially love the colour on the second salamander.

Bette

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
LadyAquarius
Thank you so much for sharing! I really enjoy looking at pictures like these. Ive done a bit of herping myself over the years. You got some nice shots of those beautiful animals! Amazing creation, that Big Guy has...

Reactions: sde

matamander

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everyone!! It really means a lot. I was curious if anyone else had an ID on the P. nettingi?

Jefferson

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, that's two phenomenal posts in a row! I didn't manage to get far enough north in VA this summer to get a Cow Knob, but I got to see a Cheat Mountain this summer in WV and really enjoyed it. You might get a chuckle out of taking a gander over some of my old posts. Looks as if we have our herping preferences in common.

OLAF123

Reaction score
Country
Micronesia
Display Name
Kevin
I went herping earlier in the year in the Williams river area of the Monongahela National Forest and didn't find nearly what you found. Next time I'm going to need to make it further east.

matamander

Reaction score
Country
United States
I went herping earlier in the year in the Williams river area of the Monongahela National Forest and didn't find nearly what you found. Next time I'm going to need to make it further east.
I think some of these were pure luck. A jeffersonianum in early fall?! I also wasn't expecting to find a Hemidactylium that high up in elevation either.

Jefferson

Reaction score
Country
United States
I once found an adult Jefferson when it was about ninety-five degrees in the middle of July in Ohio. Not to be shown up, a few Red Salamanders made their appearance in a little stream a few hours later, even though they're supposed to be in the forests in summer. Sometimes, it's just better to be lucky than good.

Aneides Aeneus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great post - you saw some pretty neat species! Interestingly enough, I have found salamanders such as spotteds, marbleds, jefferson's, four-toeds, and streamsides and various random times of year when thy aren't supposed to be active. It seems like if the conditions are moist enough, they may stay active during summer and fall.

-Ananth.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AlexisJG:
    As long as they don’t seem stressed that’s good and I mean hey if their well fed maybe they’ll live long happy lives together.
    +2
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    oh ya they are happy xD every time i come in to my room my Koy betta is like HI HI HI and actively swimming around
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nerodia1:
    Děkuji za přijetí. Hledám tohoto obojživelníka, Typhlonectes compressicauda, nevíte, kde ho získat, nejlépe někde v Evropě.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Caudex has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    VEEK has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    My axie is acting woerd he was a rescue as stated in a different post he got better and now seems to be deteriorating again...again all tank conditions are OK and as should be. He seems to have some black dapple like pattern under his bottom lip? Is that normal? And his two back feet have a little wierd growth? Almost? Tiny tiny tiny lump. His capillaries in his feathers also appear darker and more visible. Any help would be appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    Hes a leucistic axie
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AmphibiGirl has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dibgame:
    Hey guys. First time on this forum and im not sure what formatting i should use but hey here i go.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    Hi! I'm being in a hard position where I have to re-home my axolotls. I'm moving out and I would like to find them a new home with someone who can take proper care of them
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    I have an adult wild type and a juvenile leucistc
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • BigAl:
    Oops my bad accidentally sent that
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    @HalfDrunkToastLol
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    is anyone online???
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    Are you still here
    +1
    Unlike
  • ZayneSantos:
    Is there anyone on who can give me advice?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Max2445:
    @ZayneSantos, What advice do you need
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    based on this video what type of salamander might this larva be? I suspect either eastern newt or spotted salamander
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    help appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    they are from missouri
    +1
    Unlike
    KrabzAga: they are from missouri +1