Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamanders in SW VA...August 2014

matamander

Reaction score
This cold snap has got me reminiscing about the herping I've done this past year. How is it already mid-November?! Since I'm limited to only 8 pictures, here are a few of my favorites from SW VA last August. It was raining the entire camping trip...the worst weather for camping for three days, but I wanted to see salamanders and it was the best weather for that!

1. First find was a Blue Ridge?? Spring Salamander (Gyrinophilus porphyriticus danielsi??). Not sure if the subspecies is correct, but it was in the right locale. Anyways was my first of two spring salamanders.
2. One of my favorite Appalachian species, the Yonahlossee Salamander (Plethodon yonahlossee). Ended up seeing about 15 of these guys throughout the whole trip.
3. Red-eft (Notophthalmus viridescens viridescens), always love seeing these guys. This one is exactly how it appeared, no posing necessary!! He was walking about in broad daylight.
4. Gray-cheeked Salamander (Plethodon montanus). These guys are as common as Red-backeds in these parts. I honestly must have seen 100+ of these guys, they got "boring" after a while.
5. Newly hatched Gray-cheeked Salamander (Plethodon montanus)...surprised I was able to spot it.
6. Another Yonahlossee Salamander (Plethodon yonahlossee), again these guys are so cool!
7. Southern Ravine Salamander (Plethodon richmondi). A very non-descript salamander, but they aren't found where I'm from and the closest thing to a Red-backed Salamander I found in this area.
8. A Weller's Salamander (Plethodon welleri), this is the first time I've found one of these. This was my third attempt and I found it after giving up of searching for about an hour on the way home. I figured just one more log, it paid off!

Attachments

• IMG_3679CROP.jpg
    IMG_3679CROP.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 656
  • IMG_0763_crop.jpg
    IMG_0763_crop.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_3874.jpg
    IMG_3874.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 2,694
  • IMG_3901_crop2.jpg
    IMG_3901_crop2.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 670
  • IMG_3910.jpg
    IMG_3910.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_3950.jpg
    IMG_3950.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 646
  • IMG_3966.jpg
    IMG_3966.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_4015 CopylightCROP.jpg
    IMG_4015 CopylightCROP.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 525

Redear

Reaction score
I was in the mountains of Nelson County in mid October and it was the same thing, three straight days of rain. I couldn't imagine camping that weekend. You are brave! It was a great weekend for herpin, though.

Jefferson

Reaction score
Nice finds! I was in VA this summer and managed to get a Peaks of Otter, Northern Spring Sally, Shenandoah, and some White-spotted Slimy after a Weller's down in NC and a Cheat Mountain in WV. Great Yonahlossee! I missed that one and the Wehrle's this summer, unfortunately. Always great to herp in the Southwest of the Old Dominion! It's definitely right up there on my "favorite places to herp" list. In Appalachia, herping stands for
High-elevation
Elation
Researched
Painstakingly

Great salamanders!

Aneides Aeneus

Reaction score
Nice finds! I especially like the spring and the weller's salamanders (and of course the yonahlossee). Southwestern Virginia is a really pretty area, with some awesome salamanders!

matamander

Reaction score
Thanks Andrew. I wouldn't call myself brave though, my friends are always extra prepared and there were 5 tarps at the campsite so I didn't get too wet.

matamander

Reaction score
Haha Jefferson too true with Appalachian herping. I still have yet to see wehrles, did see peaks of otter and cheat mountsins this year though and shenandoahs last year. I must say the larger plethodons are by far my more favorite species.

Jefferson

Reaction score
I know what you mean. Even though the Shenandoah was rare, it didn't match up against the jordanis and Slimies that I found. On those salamanders, the distinctions are usually obvious and you don't have to count costal grooves or analyze coloration of the underside to identify them!

matamander

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly! The small Plethodons are cool because they are rare, but very nondescript. I do most of the costal groove counting on my computer hours after I was in the field. Which is probably why I'm drawn to the bigger Plethodons :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1