Salamanders in SW VA...August 2014

matamander

Reaction score
Country
United States
This cold snap has got me reminiscing about the herping I've done this past year. How is it already mid-November?! Since I'm limited to only 8 pictures, here are a few of my favorites from SW VA last August. It was raining the entire camping trip...the worst weather for camping for three days, but I wanted to see salamanders and it was the best weather for that!

1. First find was a Blue Ridge?? Spring Salamander (Gyrinophilus porphyriticus danielsi??). Not sure if the subspecies is correct, but it was in the right locale. Anyways was my first of two spring salamanders.
2. One of my favorite Appalachian species, the Yonahlossee Salamander (Plethodon yonahlossee). Ended up seeing about 15 of these guys throughout the whole trip.
3. Red-eft (Notophthalmus viridescens viridescens), always love seeing these guys. This one is exactly how it appeared, no posing necessary!! He was walking about in broad daylight.
4. Gray-cheeked Salamander (Plethodon montanus). These guys are as common as Red-backeds in these parts. I honestly must have seen 100+ of these guys, they got "boring" after a while.
5. Newly hatched Gray-cheeked Salamander (Plethodon montanus)...surprised I was able to spot it.
6. Another Yonahlossee Salamander (Plethodon yonahlossee), again these guys are so cool!
7. Southern Ravine Salamander (Plethodon richmondi). A very non-descript salamander, but they aren't found where I'm from and the closest thing to a Red-backed Salamander I found in this area.
8. A Weller's Salamander (Plethodon welleri), this is the first time I've found one of these. This was my third attempt and I found it after giving up of searching for about an hour on the way home. I figured just one more log, it paid off!

Attachments

• IMG_3679CROP.jpg
    IMG_3679CROP.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_0763_crop.jpg
    IMG_0763_crop.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_3874.jpg
    IMG_3874.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 2,504
  • IMG_3901_crop2.jpg
    IMG_3901_crop2.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_3910.jpg
    IMG_3910.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_3950.jpg
    IMG_3950.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG_3966.jpg
    IMG_3966.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_4015 CopylightCROP.jpg
    IMG_4015 CopylightCROP.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 320

Redear

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Andrew
I was in the mountains of Nelson County in mid October and it was the same thing, three straight days of rain. I couldn't imagine camping that weekend. You are brave! It was a great weekend for herpin, though.

Jefferson

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice finds! I was in VA this summer and managed to get a Peaks of Otter, Northern Spring Sally, Shenandoah, and some White-spotted Slimy after a Weller's down in NC and a Cheat Mountain in WV. Great Yonahlossee! I missed that one and the Wehrle's this summer, unfortunately. Always great to herp in the Southwest of the Old Dominion! It's definitely right up there on my "favorite places to herp" list. In Appalachia, herping stands for
High-elevation
Elation
Researched
Painstakingly

Great salamanders!

Aneides Aeneus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice finds! I especially like the spring and the weller's salamanders (and of course the yonahlossee). Southwestern Virginia is a really pretty area, with some awesome salamanders!

matamander

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Andrew. I wouldn't call myself brave though, my friends are always extra prepared and there were 5 tarps at the campsite so I didn't get too wet.

matamander

Reaction score
Country
United States
Haha Jefferson too true with Appalachian herping. I still have yet to see wehrles, did see peaks of otter and cheat mountsins this year though and shenandoahs last year. I must say the larger plethodons are by far my more favorite species.

Jefferson

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know what you mean. Even though the Shenandoah was rare, it didn't match up against the jordanis and Slimies that I found. On those salamanders, the distinctions are usually obvious and you don't have to count costal grooves or analyze coloration of the underside to identify them!

matamander

Reaction score
Country
United States
My thoughts exactly! The small Plethodons are cool because they are rare, but very nondescript. I do most of the costal groove counting on my computer hours after I was in the field. Which is probably why I'm drawn to the bigger Plethodons :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Anxious Axie Mom:
    Hello, I need some help please ASAP. All bets are closed. I just posted a thread
    +1
    Unlike
  • Anxious Axie Mom:
    Under sick axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • HakuandCoral:
    Do all impacted axolotls float? I'm worried about my two juvenile axolotls as they both have bloated stomachs and I have some plant substrate in my tank. The substrate is very small and breaks apart easity but could this still cause impaction? They are not floating at all and still eat a lot. I've been feeding them bloodworms.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • SunnyAxies:
    I have a question, I’m looking into getting one or two Axolotls and I don’t know if I should just get one or get two. Planning to get them as eggs.
    +1
    Unlike
  • CrazyForLotls:
    @SunnyAxies, It honestly depends on how much space you have. Two axolotls in the same aquarium would need a minimum of 30 gallons. (at an adult size) If you end up with opposite genders, you would need two 20 gal tanks. Males and females can't be kept together since they will breed and overbreeding the female is harmful to her body. Another factor would be if you think both eggs would survive. Sometimes axolotls hatch with defects and either die or should be euthanized to prevent them from living an uncomfortable and/or stunted life. It's sad, but it's for the good of the animal.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hi guys I need help relatively fast
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    I made a huge error, I’m about to cry because I don’t know why I was so stupid. I decided to clean the sponge and other stuff in my filter while I left the filter running. (I took out the parts in the filter to swish around in dirty tank water). Bc I left the filter running, all the gross stuff at the bottom of the filter filled into my axolotl tank. My tank is like brown now. I was trying to unclog something in my filter cuz it wasn’t running right and idk why I left it on I literally don’t know. I tried to take a bunch of water out snd replace it with fresh water but it’s STILL brown.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    also my filter is like not running right. It’s not a consistent flow it’s more like little droplets of water. :( I’m so confused
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Is the stuff in my tank gonna harm my lotl? Should I just let the filter clear it up? I’m confused
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Seems to be clearing up slightly with the filter running. Axie is okay also no signs of distress or anything
    +1
    Unlike
  • MorganeW:
    Hello! New caretaker of a paddletail who is supposedly 24, and seems to have been poorly cared for. Supposedly was fed earthworms or redworms, but every time I've pet-sat for her, she just chomped at the worm once or twice and left it, to be removed a day or two later. Now I have a bigger, clean tank and have been trying mainly frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, thawed with spring water and fed with a dropper. She ignores bloodworms, goes for the brine shrimp eagerly, but seems to spit a lot out, and ignore most. I'm not sure I can make myself chop up worms (😳) but I want to help her. She also regurgitated an inch-long, seemingly stiff, straight, dried up bloodworm! I don't even know where that came from!!! All help appreciated. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Alyssamuniz06:
    Hello anyone that can help! I’m a breeder and was wondering how to make pellets as well as salmon pellets! I’ve seen some recipes around but they contain crickets which I thought were no good for axolotls because of the chitin. The amount taht I have devours 2 pounds of pellets in a week 😂 so any help would be great. There was another lin las well for two other pellets but I’m not sure if it lets me open it because I am in the Us?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Gis has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Camnp97:
    @MorganeW, Where are you located with that paddletail?
    +1
    Unlike
  • BluFreya:
    Hi guys,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Hey guys.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I’m looking for another fire Sal. Any available at the moment?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I also want to get a Kaiser newt! 👏🏽
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kstimson97:
    I have had an axolotl hatch from its egg it's Friday today and they were only laid on Saturday this little lotl has appeared to lose its egg sack and is swimming in like a circle every now and then is this normal?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Super rare but I was looking for an Iranian Kaiser newt. If anyone has any info please send me a PM
    +1
    Unlike
    jnerdx: Super rare but I was looking for an Iranian Kaiser newt. If anyone has any info please send me a PM +1