Axel01

Reaction score
Country
England
I have seen the following advertised.

• Salamandra salamandra "Covadonga"
  • Salamandra salamandra "mirador"
  • Salamandra salamandra "Serra de grandola"
Does anyone know anything about these localities.

They seem kind of interesting but are there any differences to animals from these localities?? Local races??

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
I only recognize right away one of those...and the subspecies would be bernardezi(i think i recognize nother one, but i´m not sure.....it´s probably in Portugal). If those are WC PLEASE do not contribute to the illegal smuggling of our precious salamanders.....
Specially in the UK, there seems to be a constant availability of illegally collected spanish salamandras....very very sad.....

marco

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Marco Ferrigno
Yeah there being advertised by a shop in York, I checked out the source and their apparently captive bred, I'd be interested to know what they are.

The only ones I know for certain are the grandola, their from Portugal and their a regional variant of Gallacia.

How ever I would like to know what the others are...

tdimler

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Travis Dimler
The "Covadonga" form is a locality of S. s. bernadezi. "Serra de Grandola" is a form of S. s. gallaica. I'm not sure about the "Mirador."

wouter

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Mirador is most likely Mirador del Fito, also S. s. bernardezi. I believe that salamanders from all of these localities have been cb'd for some years now, so importing another wc group would be ridiculous and illegal.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
I´m just cautious....
It may be illegal and ridiculous, but it´s still done....
Plus some of the so called CB animals are in fact WC, and unexperienced people can be easilly fooled (others simply don´t care if they are illegal wild caughts and buy them anyway.....we´ve even seen that kind of behaviour in this forum).
Just so you see why i´m such a paranoid twit, here is an article about and intercepted illegal collection in 2007 by a couple of english citizens:

"Semiocultos entre el habitáculo y maletero del vehículo fueron descubiertos numerosos envases (sacos de tela, recipientes de polietileno opaco), debidamente acondicionados, conteniendo un total de SEISCIENTOS VEINTINUEVE (629) ejemplares de fauna silvestre, pertenecientes al grupo de los anfibios y reptiles, clasificados por especies, sexo y tamaño."
"Entre los seiscientos veintinueve ejemplares de fauna silvestre capturados, se encontraban especies tales como : 18 Tritones ibéricos; 19 Tritones alpinos; 25 Tritones jaspeados; 170 Salamandras comunes; 43 Salamandras rabilargas; 67 Sapos de vientre amarillo; 11 Sapos de espuelas; 2 Sapos comunes; 5 Sapos corredores; 2 Sapos parteros; 20 Ranas pirenaicas; 2 Ranitas meridionales; 2 Ranitas de San Antonio; 101 Ranas verdes comunes; 131 ejemplares de larvas de distintas especies de anfibios; 7 Gallipatos; 3 Galápagos leprosos y 1 Culebra viperina."
http://www.extremaduraaldia.com/ext...-un-delito-contra-la-flora-y-fauna/37405.html

I´ll try to translate if needed.....

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Since i don´t know the english common names i´ll just translate to the scientific names, which can´t be mistaken.

18Lissotriton boscai, 19 Mesotriton alpestris, 25 Triturus marmoratus, 170 S.salamandra, 43 Chioglossa lusitanica, 67 Bombina variegata, 11 Pelobates cultripes, 2 Bufo bufo, 5 Bufo calamita, 2 Alytes obstetricans?, 20 Rana pyrenaica, 2 Hyla meridionalis, 2 Hyla arborea, 101 Pelophyllax perezi, 131 larvae of various amphibian species, 7 Pleurodeles waltl, 3 Mauremys leprosa, 1 Natrix maura.

wouter

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Unbelievable. That's just catching everything you can get your hands on... Even larvae and Rana pyrenaica...

steOli

Reaction score
Country
England
My God, that´s such a unbelivable thing!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AlexisJG:
    As long as they don’t seem stressed that’s good and I mean hey if their well fed maybe they’ll live long happy lives together.
    +2
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    oh ya they are happy xD every time i come in to my room my Koy betta is like HI HI HI and actively swimming around
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nerodia1:
    Děkuji za přijetí. Hledám tohoto obojživelníka, Typhlonectes compressicauda, nevíte, kde ho získat, nejlépe někde v Evropě.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Caudex has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    VEEK has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    My axie is acting woerd he was a rescue as stated in a different post he got better and now seems to be deteriorating again...again all tank conditions are OK and as should be. He seems to have some black dapple like pattern under his bottom lip? Is that normal? And his two back feet have a little wierd growth? Almost? Tiny tiny tiny lump. His capillaries in his feathers also appear darker and more visible. Any help would be appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    Hes a leucistic axie
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AmphibiGirl has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dibgame:
    Hey guys. First time on this forum and im not sure what formatting i should use but hey here i go.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    Hi! I'm being in a hard position where I have to re-home my axolotls. I'm moving out and I would like to find them a new home with someone who can take proper care of them
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    I have an adult wild type and a juvenile leucistc
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • BigAl:
    Oops my bad accidentally sent that
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    @HalfDrunkToastLol
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    is anyone online???
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    Are you still here
    +1
    Unlike
  • ZayneSantos:
    Is there anyone on who can give me advice?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Max2445:
    @ZayneSantos, What advice do you need
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    based on this video what type of salamander might this larva be? I suspect either eastern newt or spotted salamander
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    help appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    they are from missouri
    +1
    Unlike
    KrabzAga: they are from missouri +1