Salamandra salamandra terrestris juvenile temporary setup pictures

sde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seth
Hi all,

Just wanted to share some pictures of a setup that I have found works extremely well. It is a plastic shoebox sized tub, that is setup to look like the forest floor of Germany, cause that the first place where I could find out what trees there are there. It has Alder leaves, Hazel leaves, Oak leaves, and Alder twigs. All of those trees are supposed to live in Germany. They also have a concrete hide. There is only one salamander per container. All I have to do is mist occasionally, add some woodlice slugs and worms, and once every month I have to get new leaves etc.. The salamanders are always nice and "plump", and one of them has grown almost half an inch in just over a month! I also cover it partially with a towel, just to provide some extra darkness. This is only a temporary setup until the spring when I put them in a outdoor vivaria. If they grow fast enough I might have to put them in larger tubs. We'll see.

And some pictures of them. Enjoy! -Seth

Attachments

• P1160425.jpg
    P1160425.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 649
  • P1160421.jpg
    P1160421.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 478
  • P1160417.jpg
    P1160417.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 477
Why just only leaves ? Put in a little of soil instead.
Anyways it's useless to imitate German woods in a little plastic tube.Your sals will more likely appreciate proper Ph and humidity than fresh leaves.
j.

Why just only leaves ? Put in a little of soil instead.
Anyways it's useless to imitate German woods in a little plastic tube.Your sals will more likely appreciate proper Ph and humidity than fresh leaves.
j.

If I put soil in there then worms, woodlice etc. would be able to escape much easier. The whole point of the setup is to easily monitor the salamanders and feed them. Why is it useless? Doesn't seem so useless to me. Humidity seems fine. It is working great, and the salamanders themselves seem very comfortable and happy. I doubt they really care that it has the same leaves as in Germany, especially since they are two generation CB, but why not? -Seth

Excellent looking salamanders. Very pretty. It's nice you went through the trouble of finding German leaves but I don't think even I could tell the difference let alone a salamander. :p
Any close ups of the salamanders? :;)

Excellent looking salamanders. Very pretty. It's nice you went through the trouble of finding German leaves but I don't think even I could tell the difference let alone a salamander. :p
Any close ups of the salamanders? :;)

Yah I really don't know if they can tell the difference between leaves from one place to the next, but I thought I might as well do it cause I had the leaves at hand so I thought why not.
I will see if I can get some close ups for you :happy: -Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back